equilibrium constant (1 Viewer)

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
okay i know that it is temperature dependent, but I want to know when it increases and decreases in an exothermic or an endothermic reaction...that doesn't sound right but can someone answer this question plz...its killing me :(

thanks

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Exothermic reactions will have an increase in their equilibrium constant when the temperature is lowered. Correspondingly Endothermic reactions will have a decrease in their equilibrium constant when the temperature is lowered.

richz

since u know the equilibrium constant is products/reactants

so for exo reactions, if we increase the equil will shift to the left, this reduces products producing more reactants so the equil constant decreases, but if we decrease the temp of an exo reaction the equilibrium will shift to the right, so more products so equilibrium constant increases etc etc

elitus

HSC
N/A
I'll just answer it with a tad more precision:

1. If forward reaction is exothermic:

a) A decrease in temp will shift the equilibrium to the right. Because: The change is a decrease in temp, in order to counteract the change, the reaction must produce heat. Thus the reaction moves forward.

b) An increase in temp will shift the equilibrium to the left. Because: The reverse reaction is endothermic. The change is a increase in temp, in order to counteract the change, the reaction must absorb the heat. Thus the reaction moves backwards.

2. If forward reaction is endothermic:

a) An increase in temp will shift the equilibrium to the right. Because: The change is a increase in temp, in order to counteract the change, the reaction must absorb the heat. Thus the reaction moves forward.

b) A decrease in temp will shift the equilibrium to the left. Because: The reverse reaction is exothermic. The change is an increase in temp, in order to counteract the change, the reaction must produce heat. Thus the reaction moves backwards.

It all follows Le Chatelier's Principle where an equilibrium alters to counteract the change and a new equilibrium is established.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)