equivalent courses (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
what are the equivalent courses to such as an extension 1 in qld? or a 2 unit course? i'm just curious. can anyone please help?

Kierkegaard

HSC
General Maths=Maths A
Extension Maths 1=Maths B
Extension Maths 2=Maths C

Our subjects are put on our Senior Certificate, with the number of semesters completed of that subject.

We only have one English subject for university entrance, which involves elements of an English lit class, and some lesser English skills--it sucks.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It is my understanding that the QLD Maths B course is an amalgamation of our 2U Mathematics and Extension 1 courses.

Kierkegaard

HSC
You're quite correct. It's also my understanding that Maths C has some slight differences to Extension 2. Maths C seems to be a more extensive syllabus. Reading an Extension 2 syllabus guide, I'm wondering if you guys learn any number theory :confused:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ If we do, it is very basic. I'm learning bits of it here and there for the heck of it, though.

No matricies, an infinitesimal amount of vectors, et cetera.

And by the looks of your syllabus, you do far more application work (id est: applying the mathematics to reality) than we do.

But in the end, I don't know if that makes Maths C any harder than ME2. Hard to judge, really, since all Maths C assessments are internal.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i don't think the pressure in queensland's senior certificate is much in comparison to our hsc. though it isn't as demanding, we have to work our arses throughout year 12, or else we're screwed.

Kierkegaard

HSC
Throughout grade 11 and 12, I had about 80 exams that counted towards my end results. I often had 10 exams in a given exam week, due to the subjects that I chose. Sometimes, I had three 2.5 hour exams in one day. That's not pressure?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Kierkegaard said:
Throughout grade 11 and 12, I had about 80 exams that counted towards my end results. I often had 10 exams in a given exam week, due to the subjects that I chose. Sometimes, I had three 2.5 hour exams in one day. That's not pressure?
okay that is pressure i guess. i guess its where your brought up. like in what state, or country or city. it gets tough. but do you have any external exams?

Kierkegaard

HSC
Four external exams, spread across two days. It's called the QCS (Queensland Core Skills). The QCS comprises of two 50 question multiple-choice papers, one short response paper and a 600 word writing task. It's basically an IQ test. This test is used to scale (up or down) individual's marks with respect to other students in the state and within each school. Basically, if you don't do as well as expected in this unseen, unknown semi-IQ test, it could mean the difference between a UAI 99.5 and UAI 95.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
it seems very easy going from an outsider's view i guess. but our external exams are worth 50% of our uai

Kierkegaard

HSC
At least you have an idea of what your external exams are going to about. Generally, chemistry exams are about chemistry-- you can study for that. You just can't study for the QCS; it's pure talent.

Jaydels

HSC
Kierkegaard said:
At least you have an idea of what your external exams are going to about. Generally, chemistry exams are about chemistry-- you can study for that. You just can't study for the QCS; it's pure talent.
That's a good thing though, the HSC is pure regurgitation. If your memory sucks, you're screwed

Keen

MD
HSC
Yeah the QLD system's a bit dodgy, the QCS is sort of (mainly) like an English competion, a respose to stimulus question and a bit of science competion.
The internal exams are usually a joke as to what it seems they do in the HSC, exams are semester based so you only really have to remember a semesters work (exams are checked in the region for consistency - but I've heard this is pretty shoncky).
It's great for me who is better at understanding concepts and hopeless at remembering huge lists of facts (a bit unhelpful with med - which I'm studying (2nd year 2005)).
It's seems easy looking back but it still has the same number of high achievers (you know good country school 4-5 OP1's (99+).
I didn't really do much work (and still not doing but it's new years resoultion time) but I still did 2-3 hrs a night but it wasn't proper study and I got an OP3 (came out to about a 96.2).
The scaling factors are really shoncky but they think it works so yeah.

Anyway ta ta for now

Keen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)