• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Equlibrium (1 Viewer)

Cheezy-G

Can some one please explain the exothermic, endothermic and temperature changes in Equilibrium. I get everything else in equlibrium but this part is something, I can't get my head around. It would be a great help.

Thanks

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
hmmm well take the carbon dioxide equilibrium:

CO2(g) + H2O(l) --> H2CO3(aq) + heat

if you add more heat, there will be too much heat in the right-hand-side therefore the equilibrium will shift to the left, producing more CO2(g).

if you take away heat, there will be too little heat in the right-hand-side therefore the equilibrium will shift to the right to creat more heat, producing more H2CO3(aq)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hehehe this is gonna be fun... now guys, there's a challenge: wut happens when u freeze the system?!

i am looking for eq and explaination =p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
xiao1985 said:
hehehe this is gonna be fun... now guys, there's a challenge: wut happens when u freeze the system?!

i am looking for eq and explaination =p
aiyerr... i've learnt and forgotten.

CO2(g) + H2O(l) --> H2CO3(aq) + heat

if you freeze it... then the equilibrium will shift to the uh... right? and uh... yeah... :)

you can tell how confident i am now :p

Will Hunting

HSC
Chill out, man, it's coooooool!

Lowering the temperature of the eqm system will increase the solubility of CO2, by LCP causing an eqm shift to the right and the formation of more H2CO3. This occurs by the following:

CO2(g) + H2O(l) ---> H2CO3(aq)

Lowering the temperature of the eqm mixture below the melting point of water, however, will cause solid ice to freeze out of solution, leading to the evolution of CO(sub)2 gas from solution and its enclosure within teenie weenie confined spaces, then... BOOOOOOM!!! (or something a little less ostentatious)

H2CO3(aq) ---> H2O(s) + CO2(g)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Will Hunting said:
Chill out, man, it's coooooool!

Lowering the temperature of the eqm system will increase the solubility of CO2, by LCP causing an eqm shift to the right and the formation of more H2CO3. This occurs by the following:

CO2(g) + H2O(l) ---> H2CO3(aq)

Lowering the temperature of the eqm mixture below the melting point of water, however, will cause solid ice to freeze out of solution, leading to the evolution of CO(sub)2 gas from solution and its enclosure within teenie weenie confined spaces, then... BOOOOOOM!!! (or something a little less ostentatious)

H2CO3(aq) ---> H2O(s) + CO2(g)
BLING BLING

i think we got a winner=p
soz dreamish... the problem is more profound than it first seemed =p

tho the other equilibrium shud be H2O (l) <---> H2O (s)

and when freezing, the equilibrium will shift to the right... which inturn influences the CO2 equilibrium as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)