• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Escape Velocity (1 Viewer)

Dolce

HSC
Once again, i have everyong thinking i shouldn't be doing physics, probably because i shouldn't....but the dot point
* outline Newton's concept of escape velocity. HELP! lol

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Newton created a hypothetical scenario as follows. A person climbed a very tall mountain and launched a projectile horizontally from the peak. The projectile follows a parabolic path (see the above discussion relating to projectile motion) before striking the ground. If another projectile were launched faster than the first, then it would travel further before striking the ground. If yet another projectile were launched fast enough, then it should be able to travel right around the Earth because, as it falls, the surface of the Earth curves away from it. The curve of the projectile’s motion would follow that of the earth’s surface and thus not hit it. This projectile would then be in a circular orbit at a fixed height above the earth’s surface. (For an analysis of the forces operating to establish this circular motion, see below.)

If a projectile is launched still faster, its orbit will stretch out into an elliptical shape. Even faster launch velocities result in the projectile following a parabolic or hyperbolic path away from the Earth, escaping it entirely.

VQ

HSC
My teacher said that u should include the term 'falling freely' in ur explanation. Same explanation as above...

| MaTh4U | PHy | CheM | BiO | IBS | EsL ...WhaT SoUld i DrOp? CaN'T DrOp IBS/ ESL 4 SURe...BeTWeeN Bio/MaTH4U...HeLP me!!! AnY sUggesTioNs...???

AiM: UAI 96++, 99++ if poSSiBle

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
but is it falling freely?

Doesn't all three cases except escape velocity have gravitational pull, pulling it in same way.

wanton-wonton

HSC
VQ said:
My teacher said that u should include the term 'falling freely' in ur explanation. Same explanation as above...
The term "projectile"explains that.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
zenger69 said:
but is it falling freely?

Doesn't all three cases except escape velocity have gravitational pull, pulling it in same way.
i believe escape trajectory would also have gravity acting up on it...

agreed on wrx... when the object completely escapes the gravity, it will have a parabolic/hyperbolic trajectory...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)