• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

(Essay Help, Y12) Critical Study of Text: Speeches (1 Viewer)

Time Chef

HSC
Hey, TC here. I desperatly need help in understanding an essay question and where I should start with this behemoth.

"When you read a text for the first time it is necessary to keep certain things in mind such as the conditions in which the text was created, the ways in which the text has been recieved and the elements which make the text valuable.

What have you learned about your perscribed text in reference to the above statement?
Your answer should make close reference to the text and demonstrate a detailed knowledge of what the Module has taught you about the text."
That's the question. The teacher said to use two of the speeches, so I chose Paul Keating's speech and Faith Bandler's speech.

Yet, where the hell do I begin? Do I segment the essay into two with one half on each speech? Do I look into Paul Keating's time as PM (of which I remember little) and Faith Bandler's fight for reconcilliation and equality and mention them? What else should I include?

---

I should add that I don't think I'll get anything higher than 10 / 20 anyway, no matter how hard I try. The teacher I have has given up on me anyway.

bored of sc

HSC
Hey, TC here. I desperatly need help in understanding an essay question and where I should start with this behemoth.

That's the question. The teacher said to use two of the speeches, so I chose Paul Keating's speech and Faith Bandler's speech.

Yet, where the hell do I begin? Do I segment the essay into two with one half on each speech? Do I look into Paul Keating's time as PM (of which I remember little) and Faith Bandler's fight for reconcilliation and equality and mention them? What else should I include?

---

I should add that I don't think I'll get anything higher than 10 / 20 anyway, no matter how hard I try. The teacher I have has given up on me anyway.
Composer's context, context of responders during time the text was created and other contexts (e.g. yours) and elements of text that make it valuable would be language (techniques), content (plot and themes) and construction (how it is put together i.e. specific structural devices). Maybe the composer wrote about the need for political change which reflected society's (responders of the time) desire for social revolution. Through language techniques A, B and C and by the structure of the speech the themes of X and Y are delivered.

Artak

HSC
man im in the samae boat, my teacher for english seems to know her stuff but im having trouble with her on a personal level and i think i may be responsible for that.

im also trying for engineering and im afraid my english is going to hurt me badly, all otehr subjects are going good. my assesment is on thursday and im done for. what sohuld i do??!?!?!?! ive given up on the teacher, im jsut going ot read all seven speeches, critcally analyse them myself, and see how i go.

Last edited:

nickmh

HSC
Artak, your in the exact same situation as me.
ATAR isnt everything. You can always do courses that will get you into engineering

nickmh

HSC
Artak, your in the exact same situation as me.
ATAR isnt everything. You can always do courses that will get you into engineering

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/7/english-advanced/44611/antis-guide-essay-writing.html
check antis guide

"When you read a text for the first time it is necessary to keep certain things in mind such as the conditions in which the text was created, the ways in which the text has been recieved and the elements which make the text valuable.
important values within that time period, the economy's welfare, the situation of the composer, why has the composer written this. Element which make the text valuable - moral instruction, historical perspective, revelation of certain values, how it relates to the modern society nowadays. Basically why is it worth reading..not really to analyse techniques, but rather to demonstrate specific views within that era, providing civilisation a better understanding of things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)