europe in winter (1 Viewer)

pAuLthaPlUmBeR

HSC
N/A
Hi all, it's Paul (haha that rhymes).

Anyway, I was wondering - has anyone ever been to Europe in Winter? I want to go this summer, but our summer is their winter. I plan on going on a contiki tour. Has anyone got any suggestions? I wouldnt want to waste my money if it would be crap in winter.

Thanks all,

Paul.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I went to France, the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium during their winter (Nov 04 - Jan 05). I think it's pretty bloody spiffy. If you go early in winter it isn't too cold and it's bearable. I prefer winter, so that's probably why it didn't bother me. It probably costs more during summer, depending on how much you're willing to spend.

If you're a summer loving person, I'd wait, otherwise you'll be complaining most of the time :p That, and you'd have to pack less.

pAuLthaPlUmBeR

HSC
N/A
Thankyou, sweet Christine. Well i dont mind the cold - atleast everything would look awesome in the snow and stuff - and it would be a cool experience - so to speak LOL.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
pAuLthaPlUmBeR said:
Hi all, it's Paul (haha that rhymes).

Anyway, I was wondering - has anyone ever been to Europe in Winter? I want to go this summer, but our summer is their winter. I plan on going on a contiki tour. Has anyone got any suggestions? I wouldnt want to waste my money if it would be crap in winter.

Thanks all,

Paul.
i was in Europe for winter last year. It was freezing but i love the cold!! the weird thing is that i wore the same thing (probably one layer more) for European -5 degree as being in Sydney winter 5 degree. it's quite nice and you get that archaic feel to it! it would be fantastic if your trip involves skiing! but the downside is that, a lot of attractions may be closed! and that your luggage will be a lot heavier than summer.

also, they tend to have better accomodation deals duringw inter!

Poon-Tang

HSC
i went to london in winter, it was cold, and really expensive, but i stayed in my brothers place, he lived in the nurses quarters at guys hospital. it wasn't as sexy at the name suggests.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Best to invest in thermal underwear. Saved my life, that stuff.

jellybeenz

HSC
I'm going to Switzerland and Portugal this Summer. I'm excited but a bit pissed off because I'm not gonna get to have a Summer, so i'll have to double up on winter clothes.

I'm going for 2 months, but I've been before so my advice is just to make sure you have a big coat to wear outside. Coz a light denim jacket or jumper like the ones we wear here just isn't enough.

I've been to Europe in Summer as well. And I like Summer better coz my Australian bones cannot handle the cold, but Europe isn't crap in winter. Just make sure you have plenty of warm clothes.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I was in London and Paris last winter and it was fine. Just bring lots of warm clothes, and be sensiable about how much time you spend out in the cold.

kirabolton

HSC
Jacket wise what do people recommend? I'm going on a Contiki tour, then to Austria/Switzerland in Jan/Feb and i get cold very easily...perhaps it wasn't the best idea...

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
You can't go past a puff jacket. They look cool and are extremely warm.
Wear a beanie as 80% of body heat is lost through the head.

Sasky

HSC
I'm going throughout Europe in my uni break from end of Nov - End of Feburary.

I've been told the contiki tours suck quite often cause u're in a group the whole time - u have to stay with them and cause u only have a limited time they make u go through places really quickly, u cant stay and look at the things u want, u have to keep moving. And if u're stuck in a crap group u have to live with it the entire trip.

I was gonna do that, cause Ive never been to Europe but decided not to. My trip's gonna cost me between friggin $5 - 7,000. But it'll be worth it (hopefully).

I really do hope the cold wont be too bad, but my fav country (Germany)'s gonna make up for it! :p But I'm gonna be pissed off for missing the Octoberfest!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)