• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Every article you'll ever need for Year 11 and 12 (1 Viewer)

The Expert

HSC
Join the 323 other students and teachers of Legal Studies in over 60 schools who get all their laws, cases and media reports from one place without having to research a damn thing - the Legal Studies Facebook Page.

It's all free. No registration, no catch. Just click Like.

Here are some of the articles shared just this month, along with the Comment made for each one (where the article is categorised into each syllabus category that it fits into). Did you read all these?

If you’re still not sure, here’s a selection of the articles shared on the page JUST THIS MONTH, along with the ‘comments’ I’ve made for each one on the Facebook page:

‘Review into counter-terrorism laws begins’, SMH, August 8, 2012
CRIME: Role of Law Reform (though this is just a review to start with); Police Powers; Balance between victims, offenders and society. 50 Anti-Terror laws have been passed since 2001, causing some level of terror themselves.

‘Struggling to secure indigenous rights’, Al Jazeera, August 8, 2012
HUMAN RIGHTS: Self-determination. Also for the 20 students in the State who do 'Indigenous Peoples' as an Option. It's REALLY comprehensive (long).

‘Brisbane judge makes world-first conception ruling’, Brisbane Times, August 8, 2012
FAMILY: 'Surrogacy and birth technologies'. Apparently when they passed the QLD and NSW Surrogacy Acts, they didn't bother to define 'conception' (which a judge now has). But how will this affect future State of Origin series?

‘High Court Dismisses international custody battle’, ABC News, August 7, 2012
For anyone following this family law case about the Italian girls. Looks like there's only one more step and then it's back to Italy they go.

‘UN Condemns collapse of Syria peace deal’, ABC News, August 5, 2012
WORLD ORDER: Effectiveness of the UN. Mainly I just enjoyed the fact that the General Assembly condemns A) The Syrian government; and B) IT'S OWN SECURITY COUNCIL FOR BEING USELESS!!! That's harsh... It's like your Mum saying to you, "I hate Nazis. Oh, and you."

‘Tas gay marriage law legal: Giddings’, SMH, August 5, 2012
FAMILY: I pointed out in the Family App, that it has been known for some time that since Howard amended the federal Marriage Act in 2004, States have been able to legalise gay marriage. But since when is TASMANIA the forward-thinking State? And since when did Tasmania have a parliament???

‘R2P: Concept and Implementation, Opportunity and Misuse, Dissident Voice’, August 3, 2012
WORLD ORDER: Basically the whole syllabus is covered in ONE ARTICLE! The meaning of WO; how the concept has changed; the nature of conflict; the nation state and state sovereignty; the UN; AND the Responsibility to Protect!!! Basically a Band 6 WO essay by itself!

‘The jury’s out – and could stay out, judging from trends’, SMH, August 3, 2012
CRIME: Effectiveness of the jury system. This article actually names a whole bunch of cases, so you really should read this one and write down the cases to use in your exam responses.

‘Long jail terms are no deterrent – chief judge’, SMH, August 2, 2012
CRIME: Purposes of punishment. Also comes under the Law Reform Theme because the NSWLRC are currently looking at Sentencing (including whether 'deterrence' is really a useful purpose of punishment).

‘A matter of life and death’, Four Corners (video), August 1, 2012
FAMILY: Effectiveness of the law in protecting victims of domestic violence. Pretty nasty stuff. Good to use in exams (because markers generally like 4 Corners). Also, for teachers - it goes for 45 minutes - you know what that means? Lesson plan: Done.

Here’s the link: www.facebook.com/pages/HSC-Legal-Studies-The-Apps/329402840415416

Just ignore the ads. Don't cry about having ads on Facebook, I'm sure you're mature enough to ignore something you're not interested in. You'll need articles like this to get the Band 6 you want.

And don't give me grief about advertising this page - it's free. It always has been free and always will be free. Just enjoy the articles and inappropriate jokes.

Merase

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the link - my life has gotten at least a 1000 times easier. >>"

After note: the fb page features a genuinely informative video on HSC mark moderation, so it'll be worth visiting on a holistic level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)