Evolution Of Programming Languages (1 Viewer)

Osmo

Hey, does anyone have notes on the: Evolution Of Programming Languages.

Because i am not able to find any, and my text book or my work sheets, have nothing one them :(

thanx

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
1st gen - machine code
2nd gen - assesmbly language ( more english inserted )
3rd gen - high level programming language ( even more english inserted) this is mainly the use of CASE tools, i.e. wizzards etc. some e.g.s are c++ java etc. (i think, correct me if im wrong).
4th gen - smart language ( basicly english, im not sure where this is used, but you can program in english)
5th gen - artifical intelligence. of course not implemented yet, that i know off.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
4GL- eg SQL (structured query language)

sunny

meh.
HSC
5th gen has been implemented - Prolog is a common one.

marsesbars

Whoa! Be careful, the syllabus for this topic doesn't deal with generations of languages, but with paradigms. So if you talk about generations (like 1st, 2nd, 3rd...) in an exam I'm not sure you'd get marks.*

Originally posted by SamD (the textbook writer)
If you look at the syllabus you'll find the different generations are not even in the syllabus. The Evo option is all about programming paradigms and, paradoxically, has little to do with the evolution of progamming languages.
* EDIT: I'd now say "You wouldn't get marks talking about generations if the question asked about paradigms. In other questions, though, it might work. It depends on the question..."

Last edited:

user

HSC
Originally posted by marsesbars
Whoa! Be careful, the syllabus for this topic doesn't deal with generations of languages, but with paradigms. So if you talk about generations (like 1st, 2nd, 3rd...) in an exam I'm not sure you'd get marks.

true, you wouldn't get any marks... but i'm sure you'd still be expected to have some sort of understanding of the concepts since its in the prelim course (is it? can't remember... too far back!)

or you could argue that it all adds to a more complete band 6 higher level blooms taxonomy answer

marsesbars

Originally posted by user

true, you wouldn't get any marks... but i'm sure you'd still be expected to have some sort of understanding of the concepts since its in the prelim course (is it? can't remember... too far back!)

or you could argue that it all adds to a more complete band 6 higher level blooms taxonomy answer
Yeah, the generations were in the preliminary course.

You could talk about generations to "Explain reasons for the emergence of the logic/object-oriented/functional paradigm".
SO if you use it, it would show you are "synthesising" information - which is the highest level of human thought according to Bloom's Taxonomy :rolleyes:
My thoughts: never mind that you could simply remember answers to questions that showed synthesis, without actually understanding what you're remembering...

user

HSC
Originally posted by marsesbars

Yeah, the generations were in the preliminary course.

You could talk about generations to "Explain reasons for the emergence of the logic/object-oriented/functional paradigm".
SO if you use it, it would show you are "synthesising" information - which is the highest level of human thought according to Bloom's Taxonomy :rolleyes:
My thoughts: never mind that you could simply remember answers to questions that showed synthesis, without actually understanding what you're remembering...
but the two don't really correlate. do they? i'm still not sure where anything fits in. i'm so confused. didn't learn anything all year. glad its all over. i wouldn't talk about generations in that question mainly because i don't get it. but since they can ask prelim stuff, i reckon they could have asked a question staight out about generations. but that would be slack. actually i feel like i'm synethesising information here because i have no idea what i'm talking about

did you have a teacher obsessed about blooms taxonomy too?

the whole test was synthesising information... making up answers on thes pot which should have been taught during the year.

neester

my dad has a diagram, where all SDD languages are listed, and it shows their developent, and how some developed into others etc...
how VB and DELPHI both came from basic etc...
its really mad, i will try and get the link

yoshi

Osmo, post your e-mail address and I'll send you my SDD notes from last year. I did Evolution of Programming Languages as well.

neester

Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo

Say WHAT?!

*GRRRRRR* :mad:
yeahp :D

delphi came from VB 1.0 and Pascal...

PHP came from Perl 5.0

i have a 3 page graph on the wall in my dads office...
with dates and everything:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)