Exchange University Ranking Importance (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking of going on exchange, and I was just wondering how important the ranking of a university is for employers. Will they care if I didn't go to a top 100 or top 50 university, or will they not care at all? Personally, I don't think they will care since it's more about the experience than what you actually learn at the university but I'm not 100% sure about that.

enoilgam

HSC
It's going to look slightly better if you go to a brand name uni, but really the difference is negligible. Employers look at experience, what you bring to the table in terms of skills and ultimately cultural fit. All that is really a product of how you have been shaped by the various experiences you have had.

PS. Sorry for forgetting to respond to your PM, I saw this thread just now and was reminded.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
So overall there's still a net positive benefit to going to a university not ranked too high, as compared to not going on exchange at all?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So overall there's still a net positive benefit to going to a university not ranked too high, as compared to not going on exchange at all?
I would say so, as long as you're not forgoing any other local opportunities (e.g. internships).

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say so, as long as you're not forgoing any other local opportunities (e.g. internships).
Ah yes, opportunity costs and all. I have nothing planned for that semester though, so I won't be missing out on anything.

PS. Sorry for forgetting to respond to your PM, I saw this thread just now and was reminded.
Haha no worries.

Thanks for your responses!

Silly Sausage

HSC
Would be pretty sweet if you got an exchange spot an Imperial College for Mech.Eng tbh.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Would be pretty sweet if you got an exchange spot an Imperial College for Mech.Eng tbh.
Yeah, I was actually looking into that so much until recently. I'd have to go for a year because of how their classes are set up though, and that means I'll pretty much have to finish the engineering part of my degree overseas (not including honours, obviously). There's also no guarantee that I'll get in, so might as well start applying asap and if I don't get in this semester to anything I want, then I'll apply next semester for Imperial College.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)