• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Exemplar 'in the wild' (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
I just read thru a 2002 exemplar essay for "In the Wild", pretty generic question.

It's well written etc, but it seems like there is minimal attention to specific techniques. There are hardly any quotes, and if there are, they are one-word quotes.

However, I think it does context really well. But like I said, there are hardly any specifics in relation to scenes/quotes etc. From BNW, only Mustapha Mond is mentioned. In BR, Deckard and Tyrell are mentioned, but briefly.

Especially for those who have done their HSC on this already, how did u approach your "in the wild" question? What I'm most suprised at really is the general lack of quotes and references to specific scenes and characters in both texts. I think its fairly well structured and written, but it all feels quite superficial and general. I was under the impression that like any other English module, specific language (quotes) and film technqiues had to be analysed in how they shape the meaning of the module.

Anyway, have a look for yourselves: http://www.boredofstudies.org/cours...2_English_Advanced_HSC_Exemplar_Q1_S3_BOS.pdf

Last edited:

richz

exemplars are classified, there are band 1,2 ones 3,4 and 5,6. So this maybe a 3,4

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Exemplar papers are "sample" answers which are perceived as ideal for a certain band. Keep in mind that although they do not look as "professional", these are 2002 and the quality has raised alot more. These were put out when "the new hsc" (the current hsc sitting) was first introduced and these outcomes/bands/syllabi were very new and people pretty much had no clue what to do, so there is a possibility that they were marked easy as well.

Last edited:

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Exemplar is the best 15/15
They can be found in the standard packages.

Obviously this is not an exemplar sample.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sorry guys, I have to clarify this:

All exemplar responses received 100%.

Only some of the responses in the standards packages are exemplar responses - most correspond to borderline performances between the bands - but this one is definitely an exemplar response.

The response should be read in the context of the question. In this case, the focus of the question was actually not on "how" the contexts of the texts shaped their form and meaning (which would call for an analysis of the techniques used). Instead, the question invited students to reflect on whether a comparison of the values associated with each text would be meaningful.

The standards are designed to be consistent across different years, so producing a piece of work that is of the same quality as this one will result in the same mark. That doesn't mean reproducing this answer will get you the same mark though - you'll have a different question, with its own requirements.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Just on that, and in relation to another thread I created, do you know what "cut-off" is required to be considered in the "high-mark range" for the new Sample Answer books?

Cab31

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Just on that, and in relation to another thread I created, do you know what "cut-off" is required to be considered in the "high-mark range" for the new Sample Answer books?
I am pretty sure that they are band 6 answers

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
can someone please enlighten us on how that essay received full marks? to my very uneducated mind it's not exactly a good response.

Cab31

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
can someone please enlighten us on how that essay received full marks? to my very uneducated mind it's not exactly a good response.
Something that you all are not properly considerring is the fact that this was written in 40 minutes under extreme pressure. I am not surprised by the fact that many of you havent actually sat the modules HSC exam yet, and dont properly understand how hard it is to write 3 decent essays in two hours to some pretty daunting questions.
The essay answers the question and addresses the syllabus dot points, while integrating an understanding of 'the wild'. Clearly there were not many better essays than this one, hence the fact that it is an exemplar response.
Like Kimmeh said, this was done in 2002. There were not many examples of what type of questions would be asked, or many smaple answers for this grade to view. The standard has obviously since risen. I suggest you read the 2003 or 2004 response books. The knowledge incorporated into the 2003 response is incredible considerring how difficult their question was. Remember it is about answering the question above anything else. You can regurgitate excellent essays until you pass out, but if they dont answer the question you wont get good marks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)