Exercise Physiology (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
Interested in finding out more about the Exercise Physiology courses at UOW, USYD and UNSW. Which one would you recommend and why?

quickoats

HSC
I see that you've made other enquiries about physiotherapy in other threads - is your aim to become a physiotherapist?

I know a few people go into an Exercise Physio/Ex Sport Sc degree with the intent of transferring into Physio or doing it postgrad - often because they want to study at a certain uni (or refuse to study at another one) e.g. they missed out on USyd physio, but rather than doing WSU physio, they go into Ex Sport Sc at USyd to try and do an internal transfer into physio at USyd - much like how people do Med Sci to try and get into Med.

If you want to be a physiotherapist, I'd suggest going with whatever university will take you - ACU in particular tends to be quite generous with bonus points. I would not recommend going into an alternate degree (if you have the opportunity to study physio elsewhere), with the intent of transferring or doing MPhysio/DPT postgrad, as it is an uncertain pathway that will take more time, and cost more money in terms of fees - especially with postgrad degrees being charged as full fee places.

If you want to become an exercise physiologist, look into the relevant qualifications you need, and go with the place that will ensure you meet those requirements. If all 3 are sufficient, go by your personal preference. Note that with USyd, you'll probably be doing a bunch of your classes at the Cumbo campus (Lidcombe) if that plays any factor into your decision.

Sorry if this is confusing but I hope it helps (somehow) :)

Nikolerak

HSC
I see that you've made other enquiries about physiotherapy in other threads - is your aim to become a physiotherapist?

I know a few people go into an Exercise Physio/Ex Sport Sc degree with the intent of transferring into Physio or doing it postgrad - often because they want to study at a certain uni (or refuse to study at another one) e.g. they missed out on USyd physio, but rather than doing WSU physio, they go into Ex Sport Sc at USyd to try and do an internal transfer into physio at USyd - much like how people do Med Sci to try and get into Med.

If you want to be a physiotherapist, I'd suggest going with whatever university will take you - ACU in particular tends to be quite generous with bonus points. I would not recommend going into an alternate degree (if you have the opportunity to study physio elsewhere), with the intent of transferring or doing MPhysio/DPT postgrad, as it is an uncertain pathway that will take more time, and cost more money in terms of fees - especially with postgrad degrees being charged as full fee places.

If you want to become an exercise physiologist, look into the relevant qualifications you need, and go with the place that will ensure you meet those requirements. If all 3 are sufficient, go by your personal preference. Note that with USyd, you'll probably be doing a bunch of your classes at the Cumbo campus (Lidcombe) if that plays any factor into your decision.

Thank you for your reply, which is very helpful. Physiotherapy is the plan A and E Physiology is the plan B. Just trying to plan for the 5 preferences with the UAC.

Nikolerak

HSC
Thank you for your reply, which is very helpful. Physiotherapy is the plan A and E Physiology is the plan B. Just trying to plan for the 5 preferences with the UAC.
May I also ask you what would be the issue with going to the Cumberland campus? An inconvenient location or something else?

Nikolerak

HSC

What's the issue with the Cumbo campus? 😀

quickoats

HSC
What's the issue with the Cumbo campus? 😀
Only issue would be convenience and accessibility - main campus is close to Redfern which is serviced by most train lines, whereas Cumbo is a bit more of a trek for some.

Some people are concerned about the “campus life” or the place itself (Hogwarts), so they might be deterred from the Cumbo campus if they’re looking for a more college feel - heard it can feel a bit TAFE-y given its suburban location.

That being said, I think the Heath Sc faculty is starting to transition into the Camperdown and Darlington campus in the coming years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)