exp (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
did any1 else have to compose their own experiment for an assessment task??? we had to do one on enzymes

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, i fink u SHOULD start to learn how to do that even if it is not in an asmt... we got this design an exprmt sorta question in da hsc (well, sorta...) given the known data... ><!!! i was lyk... ARGH!!! kill me , just kill me!!!

=p

all we haf to do in our prac exam is figure out something that we need to do wif da given equipmentz... pretty easy if u ask me... =)

edit: babydoll_ (or ne other TIFHA member): wut happen to TIFHA??, n how cum lex becam the enemy of it at one stage??

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by fashionista
did any1 else have to compose their own experiment for an assessment task??? we had to do one on enzymes
i think we have one comming up... my teacher said there will be two experiments and he never said anything about what the assessment will be on?

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
all the experiments we conducted except for the first one had to be written up ourselves
the whole, aim, hypothesis, method, results, conclusion and discussion
the more you do it the better u become
i highly recommend atleast attempting to write up ur eperiemnts urself rather than relying on ur tacher or a textbook for some kind of template
frankly i feel that the fact i conducted and wrote all but oen of my experiemnts myself i was prepared very well for all exams especially for trails and hsc
anyways good luck to all ur 2004'ers
remember myself and babydoll are here to help

~TeLEpAtHeTIC~
:D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
hey ~TeLEpAtHeTiC~, what type of experiments did you get for your assessments? i mean is it just out the syllabus dot point or did your teacher just make up some random related experiment and you have to figure it out yourself. im a bit unsure about this compose your own experiment thingy... does it relate to the syllabus dot points (ie you can rote learn it) or is it just purely outcome based (ie testing experimental skills) ?

i was thinking of writing up the whole, aim, hypothesis, method, results, conclusion and discussion... for every experiment in the first module to prepare for the assessment. so any help or info on them will be appreciated :)

reply soon my assessment is on next tuesday... this forum seem to be deserted compared to the other science forums :(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ummmm well i was given a hypothesis to test, and a bunch of equipment, and from that i had to design my experiment

abdooooo!!!

Banned
omg, thats gonna be hard to prepare for, i've never even done an experiment in any science subject ever. i can't even use an microcope thing...

and yeah, do you remember the hypothesis that was given babydoll_? is there any point in learning the syllabus dot points?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
it was something like 'test the effects of enzyme concentration on rate of reaction' or something similar. it came from a dotpoint. we had done a prac about it in class but the exp for the exam was different.

you could have a look through textbooks/sheets/BoS notes and see what pracs people did for dotpoints

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, we had an easy one: investigation of dissoloved carbon dioxide on pH of water... we are actually given test tubes, universal indicator, straw etc... all we haf to do is write the expmt down... =)

oh yea, when doin ur expmt yea?? read ur criteria carefully... i made this mistake in my chem prac, makin me 12th whereas i could haf bein 7th... >< cuz the criteria says "in ur expmt, state any way of improvement and sources of error"... =p bleh, oh well... this goes particularly to fort pplz... if mr butt is makin the prac... oh well, u haf my sympathy...

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
hey ~TeLEpAtHeTiC~, what type of experiments did you get for your assessments? i mean is it just out the syllabus dot point or did your teacher just make up some random related experiment
tuesday ay..hmm i still got 4 more days :p

nah um yeah majority of our experiments where syllabus based and its wasn't difficult to figure out the hypothesis as the aim of the experiment was stated in the syllabus..
for example

Originally posted by babydoll_
'test the effects of enzyme concentration on rate of reaction'
that would be the aim
you would mould ur hypothesis around that, let see, something like
hypothesis: enzyme concentration determines that rate of the reaction

essentially the hypothesis is the aim reworded into a statement for or against ur results
u could also be given a hypothesis itself and be told to determine aim, method etc

from my own experience it was similar to babydoll, we were handed a sheet with aim or hypothesis, list of equipment and any safety precautions we were meant to be aware of... and then we had a lesson to conduct the experiment within
normally during this time what ur looking to do is gather ur results and mentally notes ur method and equipment as conclusion, discussion and any drawing of graphs and charts can be doen later

in exam situations however its a bit different, i'd say write up a template, short but swet, aim-hypothesis-equipment-method-results-conclusion-discussion
i'm sure u know what to due for each so i wont continue but essentially in an exam make sure ur answer is structure and continuity is observed.. you wouldsn't wanna write opposing statements
anyways good luck i've gone on for too long
if ya want more help just repost
good luck

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~
:D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
my assessment is actually on thursday... im so confused :eek:

im pretty sure its gonna be on enzymes too... why is it always that enzymes experiment :confused:

it says on the assessment notice: "You will be given an experiment to perform and expected to analyse and modify the procedure to extend on the aim of this experiment in order to write up and perform a second experiment."

whats extend on the aim?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)