Experiment i wanted to try HELP NEEDED (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
ok now i want to obtain Sodium metal (for my own enjoyment purpose) ..... will this experiment work?
dissolving sodium chloride (Salt) into water......... like a lot of salt.......into quite a large ammount of water .....
Now... i set up to 2 stainless steel electrodes and passed an electric current though it
ok now Cl- -> Cl2 + 2e-
and 2H20 -> 2H2 + 2OH- + 2e-

Now what will happen (or i hope will happen) (ill leave you this a few hours) all chlorine will escape as gas ..... and all hydrogen will escape as gas..

now after this happens.. a solution of NaOH will be left in the beaker...
if i place another 2 different stainless steel electordes... and place another electric current through them
CAN I GET SODIUM METAL ????????????????????????????????????????????
any help would be appreciated THANKSSSSS (xia ?) :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I asked my Chemistry teacher "how do you get back sodium from electrolysis of sodium chloride sir?", and he said "You cannot get back Sodium because it is too reactive."

I wouldn't bother placing pure Sodium in water.
Physics teacher and us saw first-hand the explosive and reactive power of pure Sodium.

beentherdunthat

HSC
f3nr15 said:
I asked my Chemistry teacher "how do you get back sodium from electrolysis of sodium chloride sir?", and he said "You cannot get back Sodium because it is too reactive."

I wouldn't bother placing pure Sodium in water.
Physics teacher and us saw first-hand the explosive and reactive power of pure Sodium.
Na is also very reacitve with atmospheric gases like oxygen and nitrogen... unless you have a very effective container... bad things will happen :D

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
well ..... im a disturbed individual?
lol our chemistry teacher never let us place sodium in water....... stupid teacher :(

will experiment work though?

beentherdunthat

HSC
wrxsti said:
well ..... im a disturbed individual?
lol our chemistry teacher never let us place sodium in water....... stupid teacher :(?
lol d/w. I enjoy watching things explode as well... chem is fun, when it's not theory!!

wrxsti said:
will experiment work though?

Me thinks part 2 will not only be dangerous and hard to control... it most likely won't work.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol d/w. I enjoy watching things explode as well... chem is fun, when it's not theory!!

Me thinks part 2 will not only be dangerous and hard to control... it most likely won't work.
:(

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
even as a 4th year honour student, i myself have not handled sodium metal in its elemental form.... and if anyone on this forum suggest a way to make it, and you did, and you injured yourself, he/she will be liable =(

that been said, oxidising NaOH you said? produce water + O2 + Na (s), given you provide enough voltage....

however, i urge you not do this experiment... solid Na is extremely unstable and it can potentially explode on you (or in a beaker, which shatters its glass, which cuts you)

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
If there is any water present all you will get is sodium hydroxide because the sodium will immediately react.

If you want elemental sodium metal you need to electrolyse a molten sodium salt. However since you had to ask how to do it I would suggest you dont even try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)