Experiments for Shipwrecks (1 Viewer)

Beware of dog

Could anyone help me by giving me a copy of the experiments for shipwrecks and salvage or a link to any site that features the needed experiments for the option topic?

Or if no one knows any links, could you tell me what experiments i would need to know for the option and i'll look them up myself. I'm a bit stuck for this part of the option as im studying a different one to the one my school taught. Thanks.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
ahhh.. silly you.. shouldn't have done a different one to the one your school has taught.. (excuse for my ignorance of saying this if you have a really good reason behind other than you don't like the one your school is teaching or you like this one better).. but i guess it's not the right time to talk about this...

really, what i would suggest you to do is to grab the syllabus (again if you already do) and hunt for the pracs/prac-like dot points.. for many people, as for myself, this was the last topic we got taught and as a result not much experiments were done due to the focus on the trials and HSC preparations..

well.. let's see (i assume you can predict what happens in each case so i won't go into the details):

9.6.1.4: you can do this one with textbooks and the CSU website

9.6.2.5: have two test tubes, one with iron nail and one with a steel you know (have a look around in hardware stores and *ask* if you are not sure, get mum/dad to do it if you don't have time) or just make a resonable one up by reading books about different types of steel and their uses(it works, otherwise i won't be telling you) :)

9.6.2.6: this can also be easily done if you know the chemistry involved in corrosion and the conditions required for corrosion.. what you do is you design a simple experiment with 3 test tubes, each contains a cleaned (e.g. by steel wool) iron nail.. and one contains normal tap water, one has boiled water (to get rid of the oxygen) with a stopper + a layer of oil on top(to exclude Oxygen) and one with nothing in it + stopper....

9.6.2.7: again, this one can be done easily

9.6.3.3: read textbooks and design an experiment, what you could do is set up an electrolysis system maybe a Cu anode and an inert carbon cathode.. and use CuSO4 as the electrolyte. Then.. say.. you vary the concentration of the electrolyte.. or increase/decrease the current.. or increase the surface area of the Cu electrode.. umm.. what else.. that should do

9.6.4.5: another *gathering* one.. you can do this :) but dont' forget to mention about reactivities, costs, physical properties and of course chemical properties

9.6.4.6: this one.. i'm so sorry :( i'm really not sure about this one.. couldn't find anything in my prac book but i recall doing this.. hehee (me slack..).. the only thing which i'm not sure is what salt *were* used to make the electrolyte.. but here is my assumption, since it was about "those best suited for use in marine vessels", it should probably be NaCl or MgCl or both.. (or *hopefully not* some other werid and wonderful salts..).. and the metal bit is easy, get some Iron, Zinc (lol), aluminium, Tin, Copper, Magnesium (you might want to try..) and Sodium (!?... no no no, just kidding about Sodium :D don't even try it.. that is.. if you can get some..) and just chuck them into different test tubes and wait a few days and see what happens (you should be able to predict using the reactivity series or standard potentials)

9.6.4.7: this one.. with heaps of chemistry and words (meee fingers :() *~step 1~* make a hot agar solution (it's like jelly when cooled.. if you don't do bio and you are not sure what it is.. get some @ a supermarket and make some.. you can eat it too :)), say you are making a 250 mL solution, add ~3g of agar when it is boiling (some people in my class did it when it's not boiling.. didn't work :) *proud*) *~stpe 2~* add ~15 drops of 0.1M K3Fe(CN)6 solution (potassium hexacyanoferrate (III) solution) and ~8 drops of phenolphthalein to the solution. *~step 3~* place some iron nails into three separate petri dishes, one contain normal iron nails, one with an iron nail wrapped by zinc coil and one with an iron nail wrapped with copper foil.. Note K3Fe(CN)6 goes blue if Fe(2+) ions are present. Results first dish (normal iron) blue colour around the nails and is concentrated on the ends and pink in the middle (slightly basic - phenolphthalein).. for dish 2 (with zinc), no blue colour (or neglectable) but pink around the iron nail but not the zinc foil.. for dish 3 (with copper), blue ALL around the iron nail, pink around the copper wire... work out why all these happen

9.6.4.8: an easy one

9.6.5.5: see 9.6.2.6 for some instructions.. have some test tubes, one as a control (just a nail and nothing else).. for oxygen concentrations: one with boiled water + oil + stopper (like the one mentioned in 9.6.2.6) and one with normal water and no stopper..... for temperatures.. obviously, one in an incubator, one in fridge, one in freezer (the poor test tube will break :() and one in normal conditions, all filled with water..... for salt concentrations, just make different concentrations of NaCl solutions and pop the nails in...

9.6.5.6: predict it

9.6.6.4: have different concentrations of HCl in different test tubes and put nails in them... you can use the NaCl one in 9.6.5.5 as the neutral one (NaCl is a neutral salt) use your knowledge about acid + acid to predict what happens

9.6.7.6: use the following link...

http://www.geocities.com/lemonpichu/HSC/maritime.html

ooh.. just checked Conquering chemistry.. the distance between the electrodes also affect the rate of electrolysis.. which dot point was that?

Last edited:

Beware of dog

hehe........ Thanks for all the help mitochondria!

yeh it was a bit silly but hen you dont understand a topic, choose one that you do understand!

i think the point you're refering to is point 9.6.3.1 the students part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)