explain to me... (1 Viewer)

j.peg.CRAP

CMON GUYS HELP ME PLZ... explain to me...

ok guys.. lets say im ranked 4th in modern history.. and i screwed up HARDCORE in the hsc exam.. and the girl ranked 1st scores a raw mark of 90 (because she has before, and thats just a conservative estimate).. and i only get a raw mark of 74 in the hsc exam.. the reason being i didnt really study AND i interpreted the question wrong (totally went out of the question's time period!! fuck)

will i pull everyone after me down? (assuming that the people ranked 5th and 6th studied and are quite good at what they do) SHIT i feel bad --

-- and can i still get a band 5?

Last edited:
HSC
im not sure about whether u can get a band 5 or not. But with regards to the ppl gettin 5th and 6th. If they do better in the exam than you, well the person ranked 4th in the exam will get ur exam mark as their moderated assessment mark, but they still get their own exam mark and u get ur exam mark and u will get the 4th highest exam mark as ur moderated assessment mark.

j.peg.CRAP

ohh k.. the teachers were pushing u all year, telling us we perform as a group, and i feel really bad about it all.. as if i deserved that rank neway!!

well that explains the moderated assessment mark.. any clarification for hsc mark?

amandaz

im a bit confused with this whole thing..............
say im coming second but im only JUST behind the girl coming 1st
so no matter how well i do, i will never beat her in the exam (ie if i do theoretically beat her, she will get my mark n i will get hers)
n if the person coming 3rd does better than me, i will get her mark???
it doesnt make sense....i may as well not try since i am guaranteed the 2nd highest mark

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
underthebridge said:
im not sure about whether u can get a band 5 or not. But with regards to the ppl gettin 5th and 6th. If they do better in the exam than you, well the person ranked 4th in the exam will get ur exam mark as their moderated assessment mark, but they still get their own exam mark and u get ur exam mark and u will get the 4th highest exam mark as ur moderated assessment mark.

If you're interested in the aligning/scaling processes PM Laz I'm sure he will help you out. You don't have it exactly right

j.peg.CRAP, the Aligning process is quite simple;

First you did your class assesments. In the aligning process, there are 3 main rules; the person ranked 1st in class assessments will get the highest exam mark as their assesment mark. The person ranked last in class assesments will get the lowest exam mark. The rest of the class assesments will be moderated so that the class exam average = class assessment average.

Everyone gets their own exam mark, regardless of class performance or assessments.

In response to your question, will you pull the others down, it depends on your class size and the overall performance of the rest of the class in exams. Really it's not worth worrying about.

Can you get a Band 5? If you get a 74 in the exam I would say you have a chance of getting a low Band 5 but no raw marks have ever been released of Modern so I can't say for certain

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Cactus said:
If you're interested in the aligning/scaling processes PM Laz I'm sure he will help you out.
No, don't PM me - I don't have time to answer the same questions again and again.

Read all the threads in these forums, do a few searches, and if you still can't find answers to your queries, post a new thread so that everyone may benefit.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
lol good point my bad. Yes all the information you need is on the forum already. If you have questions PM ME and i'll do my best to answer your q's

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
so say someones first in all their classes, they will get a top UAI even if they stuff up their HSC exams. is that wat u guys r saying? its all abt rank?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
No, because remember that 50% of the final mark is moderated assesments and 50% is aligned exam results. So if someone gets 1st rank in assesments and 0% in their exam they will still get a low final mark

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Cactus said:
No, because remember that 50% of the final mark is moderated assesments and 50% is aligned exam results. So if someone gets 1st rank in assesments and 0% in their exam they will still get a low final mark
nooooo i didnt mean that much of a stuff up. i doubt Mr. or Miss first in class will get a zero in their exam. however say they get a 85% assessment mark and a 75% raw HSC mark. theyll still do really well.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Ok lets say our student ranks first in the class assesments. He receives the highest aligned exam mark as his moderated assesment mark. He then receives his exam mark as is.

Using numbers, lets say the top exam mark is 85%, therefore his moderated assesment mark is 85%, then he gets his 75% aligned exam mark.

therefore his final mark is (85 + 75)/2 = 80% final mark. So thats not too bad. However if the highest exam mark was lower than 85% then obviously his final mark will be lower

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Cactus said:
Ok lets say our student ranks first in the class assesments. He receives the highest aligned exam mark as his moderated assesment mark. He then receives his exam mark as is.

Using numbers, lets say the top exam mark is 85%, therefore his moderated assesment mark is 85%, then he gets his 75% aligned exam mark.

therefore his final mark is (85 + 75)/2 = 80% final mark. So thats not too bad. However if the highest exam mark was lower than 85% then obviously his final mark will be lower
yeh but we said 75% was the RAW mark, so shouldnt it go up to a higher mark.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Ok, it depends on what the subject is, and how hard the paper was that year. The raw exam mark is aligned to give your final mark.

Lets say for arguments sake that the 75% raw was aligned to 85%. And the highest exam mark in the class is 95%.

Our mystery student gets their 85% aligned exam mark as is. Then the class assesments are moderated, with the student getting the highest exam mark as their assesment mark, due to the 1st ranking. Therefore the final mark is

(85 + 95) / 2 = 90

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
*bashes head against wall*. lol, why do they have to make it so complicated.......................anyway like i care...................ill patiently wait until i get my results...................but i was just wondering how they get our final mark. i always get asked, especially by the current year 12, and then just stare back like an idiot. anyway thx, this thread cleared some stuff up. hope u guys all go well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)