Exponential and log functions (1 Viewer)

tradewind

i need help with these problems.How do you do these?

* Find the equation of the normal to the curve y = e^x at the point where x=3, in exact form

* Find the stationary point on the curve y=xe^x and determine its nature.
Find any points of inflexion and find values of y as x becomes very large or small. Hence sketch the curve

Any help is much appreciated :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tradewind
* Find the equation of the normal to the curve y = e^x at the point where x=3, in exact form
y = e<sup>x</sup>
dy/dx = e<sup>x</sup>

When x = 3, m<sub>tang</sub> = e<sup>3</sup>, and y = e<sup>3</sup>

So, the tangent is y - e<sup>3</sup> = e<sup>3</sup>(x - 3)
y = e<sup>3</sup>x - 3e<sup>3</sup> + e<sup>3</sup>

So, y = e<sup>3</sup>x - 2e<sup>3</sup> in gradient-intercept form
or, e<sup>3</sup>x - y - 2e<sup>3</sup> = 0 in general form
* Find the stationary point on the curve y=xe^x and determine its nature.
Find any points of inflexion and find values of y as x becomes very large or small. Hence sketch the curve
y = xe<sup>x</sup>
dy/dx = e<sup>x</sup> * 1 + x * e<sup>x</sup>, using the product rule
= e<sup>x</sup>(x + 1)

For a Stat. Pt., put dy/dx = 0: e<sup>x</sup>(x + 1) = 0
The only solution of this equation is x = -1, as e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for all x.
At x = -1, y = (-1)e<sup>-1</sup> = -1 / e.
So, the required stationary point is at (-1, -1 / e)

d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> = (x + 1) * e<sup>x</sup> + e<sup>x</sup> * (1 + 0) = e<sup>x</sup>(x + 2)

At the stat. pt., d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> = e<sup>-1</sup>(-1 + 2) = 1 / e > 0. Hence, (-1, -1 / e) is a MIN TP.

For inflexions, put d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> = 0: e<sup>x</sup>(x + 2) = 0
The only solution of this equation is x = -2, as e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for all x.
At x = -2, y = (-2)e<sup>-2</sup> = -2 / e<sup>2</sup>.
So, the possible inflexion point is at (-2, -2 / e<sup>2</sup>)

Since e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for all x, and (x + 2) is positive for x > -2 and negative for x < -2, it follows that
d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> > 0 for x > -2, and d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> < 0 for x < -2.
Since d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> changes sign around (-2, -2 / e<sup>2</sup>), it is a point of inflexion.

As x ---> + inf, y ---> + inf
As x ---> - inf, y ---> 0<sup>-</sup>

With all this information, you should be able to sketch the curve, and if you can't, I'm sure that someone will post a picture of it. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
why is e^x > 0 for all x?
Well, you could try lots of values on a calculator to convince yourself that this is true, or you could plot the graph.

Alternately, do you agree that e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for x > 0? If you do, then consider e<sup>n</sup>, where n < 0.
Now, let x = -n, and so x > 0. Also, e<sup>x</sup> = e<sup>-n</sup> = 1 / e<sup>n</sup>.
It follows that e<sup>x</sup> and e<sup>n</sup> have the same sign, which must be (+), as we already knew e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for x > 0.

Thus, since e<sup>0</sup> = 1 > 0, it follows that e<sup>x</sup> > 0 for all real x.

tradewind

new questions

i've got a couple of questions that i don't understand how to do.

* (e^2x + 1)^7

* Find any stationary points on the curve y= x^2 e^2x and sketch the curve.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
i've got a couple of questions that i don't understand how to do.

* (e^2x + 1)^7
I'm assuming that this is meant to be: Find the derivative of (e<sup>2x</sup> + 1)<sup>7</sup>.

In this case, the answer is d/dx[(e<sup>2x</sup> + 1)<sup>7</sup>] = 7(e<sup>2x</sup> + 1)<sup>6</sup> * d/dx(e<sup>2x</sup> + 1), using the chain rule
= 7(e<sup>2x</sup> + 1)<sup>6</sup> * 2e<sup>2x</sup>
= 14e<sup>2x</sup>(e<sup>2x</sup> + 1)<sup>6</sup>

If the question was meant to be something else, then please restate the question. :)
* Find any stationary points on the curve y= x^2 e^2x and sketch the curve.
y = x<sup>2</sup>e<sup>2x</sup>
dy/dx = e<sup>2x</sup> * 2x + x<sup>2</sup> * 2e<sup>2x</sup>, using the product rule
= 2xe<sup>2x</sup>(x + 1)

For a Stat. Pt., put dy/dx = 0: 2xe<sup>2x</sup>(x + 1) = 0
The only solutions of this equation are x = 0 and x = -1, as e<sup>2x</sup> > 0 for all x.
At x = -1, y = (-1)<sup>2</sup>e<sup>2(-1)</sup> = 1 / e<sup>2</sup>.
At x = 0, y = (0)<sup>2</sup>e<sup>2(0)</sup> = 0
So, the required stationary points are at (0, 0) and (-1, 1 / e<sup>2</sup>)

You can test the nature - you'll find that (0, 0) is a MIN TP and (-1, 1 / e<sup>2</sup>) is a MAX TP.
Also, As x ---> + inf, y ---> + inf
As x ---> - inf, y ---> 0<sup>+</sup>

With all this information, you should be able to sketch the curve. :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
tradewind, like CM_Tutor has advised it's useful to sketch a graph. Similarly this applies to many questions of Calculus nature where it's useful to sketch a graph or atleast know what the function looks like. For your concern of why is f(x) = e^x > 0 for all x, if a graph is sketched, it automatically becomes clear that for f; f(x) < 0 is not part of the range of the function.

Another way to confirm is to assume f(x) can < 0 for all x. Hence for example let e^x = -1 (i.e e^x can < 0). Trying to solve for x we obtain after utilising the definition of a logarithm: x = log (base) e (-1) which is undefined, hence a contradiction. Similarly, this applies to all values of f(x) < 0, so by proof by contradiction we conclude that f(x) can only > 0 for all x.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)