ext 1 is killing me!! >.< (1 Viewer)

claire~

HSC
o golly gosh!! im planning to drop ext 1 maths to just 2u, coz i did pretty bad in my half yrly, and alrite in 2u. But the prob now is that, how can i get a high uai? drop or not?? and which would be better?? i mean, even though im failing in ext 1...-.- should i still keep it?? i got 11 units at the moment...so plz...i really need advice..

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
If you are failing it, and your results in your other courses are significantly or noticeably higher, and you believe not having to do ext1 would be to the benefit of your other subjects or general studies - drop ext1.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I agree with Scotty, if you're doing poorly and failing your assessmets, then it might be a good idea to drop down to 10 units, especially if you feel the extension won't count towards your UAI.

NT-social

HSC
depends if ur literally failing..and as compared to everyone else in ur school doing it...because do well in maths can REALLY boost ur uai..

claire~

HSC
well, compared with everyone else doing ext 1, at least they're passing, 60s, 70s, and im failing =( and i also heard that failing ext 1 in the hsc will scale me down? even though its my extra unit, but im really worried that its going to drag my other subjects down in the meantime, coz im spending too much time on that...grrr! sooo stressful!! >.<

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you know it's going to affect your other subjects, then I would drop the subject altogether. There's no point if you know there's no chance it'll count towards your UAI.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
You haven't constructed an argument geared towards keeping extension 1. You have 11 units. If you keep maths ext1, you complete 11 units, fail maths ext1, and your 10 other units will count. If you drop maths ext1, you complete 10 units, and your 10 units will count. The difference? More time to put towards studying those 10 units.

tennille

HSC
Tell us your marks, first of all. Like someone mentioned, are you literally failing, or are you just disappointed with your marks? I was getting in the 50-70 range for Extension 1, and it counted towards my UAI instead of Food Technology, in which I received a much higher mark for.

claire~

HSC
well, i failed ext 1-late 30s...not good at all aye?? hmm....and with my other subjects, which are 2u, standard eng, economics, legal, chemistry, my marks are usually around 70s, sumtimes early 80s, but im not soo good in chemistry as well, however, im working towards that, but im not soo sure if i can improve ext 1 maths....im such a losty...!! >.<

P

pLuvia

claire~ said:
well, i failed ext 1-late 30s...not good at all aye?? hmm....and with my other subjects, which are 2u, standard eng, economics, legal, chemistry, my marks are usually around 70s, sumtimes early 80s, but im not soo good in chemistry as well, however, im working towards that, but im not soo sure if i can improve ext 1 maths....im such a losty...!! >.<
What was your exact rank, since your test could have been hard?

samantha_s

HSC
Hmm I think ext 1 is a good investment... however if you're passionate that ext 1 won't count to your UAI, and you're confidant that you will be willing to shift your extra concentrate on your other subjects, then I think you should drop it. It's really up to you though.

vojnik

HSC
A raw 30% for ext1 maths is about the threshold for dropping..if you think you will do worse than this later on then i think you should drop, but if you can get over 40% in your exams then i definetly wouldnt drop it if i was you. Ext1 maths is only a waste of time if you are failing MISERABLY, and I mean absolute junk marks , 10 and 20. 30% wont give you a high UAI contribution but it will contribute more than colouring in subjects like food tech, art etc.

Dont worry about marks too much, if you enjoy maths and want to do it then there is no reason you should drop.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
n00bi3z said:
DO NOT DROP would be my advice...

I was in the exact situation as you and so was most of my class... lol

I got like 39% for my half yearly and not so crash hot in the other assessments either.

Then came the HSC which was shit easy :\

Ended up getting 44/50 for Ext1 which helped drag my UAI up a few points if I had dropped Ext1 >_>.

Also if you do Ext1 2unit will feel so easy........

In the end it depends on how hard your current exams are because our teacher raped us with them but I guess we ended up benifiting because the HSC test seemed like a breeze...
whoa is the damn HSC that easy ? and my preliminary half-yearly seemed a lot less difficult than the hsc ...

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
whoa is the damn HSC that easy ? and my preliminary half-yearly seemed a lot less difficult than the hsc ...
Not necessarily. n00bi3z's school may have set extremely hard assessment tasks, hence the low marks. Alternatively, another school may set comparatively easy tasks, and students achieve high marks. Straight marks don't always tell the whole story.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)