Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

mallrat

I have chosen to attempt the Extension 2 course for next year. It seems to be the most popular option chosen is the completion of short storiess, however I was wondering if anyone chose a critical response. I am seriously considering both of these, specifically a critiqueof Joseph Conrad's works.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

alys

both could be great, it depends on where your strenght lies. i did a short story/novella, because i wanted the variety, and also because i figured i'd get enough analytical writing in my other subjects. if you're considering doing a critical response, have a look at that little book of good answers from the 2001 hsc, because that might give you some ideas of how you could combine the two or do something a little different. for example, someone did a nice critical response about a russian short story writer whose name will come to me as soon as i press the send button, constructed as one side of a conversation with him. it was cool. anyway, good luck.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
What is a novella anyway? A mini novel?

I didn't ever recall seeing the word "novella" in the English Extension 2 Syllabus or that sheet which says all the text types and requirements we could write in.

Not that it matters anyway.

With short stories, i think to gain really good marks you'd have to be really original because there's so many of them.

I was going to do a critical response, but then I figured that a short story is critical response, only without as much research, it doesn't have to be true, you can bend facts or even make them up, more creative licenses

Just some thoughts anyway.

ShirLz

To say a critique on the works of John conrad is too broad - u'd have to narrow it down heaps..u only have like 6000 words...look at what you're good at - if u reckon your arguin n researchin is better than your creative writing, which was true in my case - then go for da critical response..u have to decide for yourself n be your biggest critic, regardless of what u do in ext2...just don't forget to enjoy it all!

Good luck! :D

n don't base it on what others round u are doing n what the popular choice is - be an individual:p

bookboy18

Knight of the PIGhood
Don't do conrad

God, forget the critical response of Conrads works. We did Heart of Darkness last year and it wasn't only boring but utterly hopeless.:confused:

With that said, I see no reason why you shouldn't do a critical response but rememmber, the reflection statement is included in the work limit so thats a bummer.

I'm doing a short story because, realistically, it is the only thing that has barely no restrictions. (bar the word limit which should be longer)

Just to recap. DON"T DO CONRAD

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)