Ext2 Problems/Ideas (1 Viewer)

sugarsweet

HSC
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Today, I just went over my ideas for my research with my teacher and at the beginning of this term I was thinking of doing some sort of crime fiction related test however he said because it is a topic in extension 1 that he advised me not to do it. He asked me to think about my passions other than crime fiction (because it is a big passion of mine) however the other books/movies I read and watch are speculation text, ironically it is another topic of extension 1.

My original idea for researching was to look at post war texts and the effect of speculation to the future i.e George Orwell's 1984 was written in 1945 just at the ending of World War II and he reflected many beliefs that the world was changing especially since communism was beginning to spread around Europe. I was thinking of doing something similar but with the Iraqi War. However, I need to steer clear of speculation or only use it loosely...any ideas of what I could do?

Thanks, any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

starrysky

HSC
... who says you need to veer away from what you're passionate about, just because it's studied intensively in the EE1 course? Last time I checked, people didn't get marked down for doing a crime fiction piece when Crime Fiction is part of the 3U syllabus. The girl who did EE2 with me this past year did a very in-depth speculative fiction composition, and we did Spec. Fiction as our elective in EE1, so really, when it comes down to it, I don't see what your teacher's playing at. Sorry if it sounds a little mean, but ... hmm.

I suggest, if you're going to do a futuristic reflective text to go with your current idea, check out The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, as it's quite like Orwell's piece in terms of conveying post-disaster societal perspective and structure. If you're willing to go into speculation, personally, I say go for it - in the end, it's YOUR Major Work, and what you do with it is entirely up to you; this is a very diverse course with fragile boundaries.

With your idea, I'd say set it in a period where the repercussions of the War are evident, but it's not too futuristic that things start to look topsy-turvy. Go with the flow and incorporate post-modern societal values and structure into it, and subvert stereotypes or anything that takes your fancy; you're at an early stage of the course, and your idea is a flexible one, so there's considerable time for you to adjust things and tend to the minutiae of details.

sugarsweet

HSC
starrysky said:
... who says you need to veer away from what you're passionate about, just because it's studied intensively in the EE1 course? Last time I checked, people didn't get marked down for doing a crime fiction piece when Crime Fiction is part of the 3U syllabus. The girl who did EE2 with me this past year did a very in-depth speculative fiction composition, and we did Spec. Fiction as our elective in EE1, so really, when it comes down to it, I don't see what your teacher's playing at. Sorry if it sounds a little mean, but ... hmm.

I suggest, if you're going to do a futuristic reflective text to go with your current idea, check out The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, as it's quite like Orwell's piece in terms of conveying post-disaster societal perspective and structure. If you're willing to go into speculation, personally, I say go for it - in the end, it's YOUR Major Work, and what you do with it is entirely up to you; this is a very diverse course with fragile boundaries.

With your idea, I'd say set it in a period where the repercussions of the War are evident, but it's not too futuristic that things start to look topsy-turvy. Go with the flow and incorporate post-modern societal values and structure into it, and subvert stereotypes or anything that takes your fancy; you're at an early stage of the course, and your idea is a flexible one, so there's considerable time for you to adjust things and tend to the minutiae of details.
Thanks, yeah I was thinking of doing it anyway but my teacher is so stubborn! I was hoping to make a sort of compromise by doing something that is sort of speculative fiction but also can be put in another genre

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
sugarsweet said:
<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Today, I just went over my ideas for my research with my teacher and at the beginning of this term I was thinking of doing some sort of crime fiction related test however he said because it is a topic in extension 1 that he advised me not to do it. He asked me to think about my passions other than crime fiction (because it is a big passion of mine) however the other books/movies I read and watch are speculation text, ironically it is another topic of extension 1.

My original idea for researching was to look at post war texts and the effect of speculation to the future i.e George Orwell's 1984 was written in 1945 just at the ending of World War II and he reflected many beliefs that the world was changing especially since communism was beginning to spread around Europe. I was thinking of doing something similar but with the Iraqi War. However, I need to steer clear of speculation or only use it loosely...any ideas of what I could do?

Thanks, any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated
There's an CR on the 1984/ Speculative fiction on BOS here. Check it up.

arwin

HSC
sugarsweet said:
Thanks, yeah I was thinking of doing it anyway but my teacher is so stubborn! I was hoping to make a sort of compromise by doing something that is sort of speculative fiction but also can be put in another genre
In the 2005 Showcase, a girl who did crime fiction as her EE1 elective wrote a straight out crime fiction story, and she obviously got 50/50 for it! check her out if you can get ur hands on the 05 showcase at a library, Amelia Schmidt's "A Very Original Detective Story"

If anything, the markers PREFER you to write something with a strong connection with yuor advanced/extension 1 studies. What is ur teacher on about lol

jimmayyy

HSC
@ OP: don't ever veer away from your passion, no matter what teachers/mentors/people tell you. passion is what seperates an amazing creative work from a good one.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyones concepts seems so intellectual! mine is just an unformed blob of colliding ideas somewhere in the back of my head, im not even sure its a valid EE2 major work topic thingo. kill me now. no wait, its a blob in its 5th or so incarnation! even better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)