• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Extension 1/2 (1 Viewer)

Sasky

HSC
I will be starting year 12 next term and will continue Extension 1, but am still unsure on doing Ext 2. I love English and I always have, and I'm really *stuck* on choosing Ext 2. Should I or shouldn't I? Its almost a conundrum - seriously :(

Seeing all these intelligent, highly motivated and mature people in the Ext 2 forum makes me want to persue it but I'm a little frightened at some of the fierce competition that it seems to encounter. Not that that is the sole reason - it seems so, well, hard. (seems trivial doesn't it)
Did people find it a dilemma as well or am I just being paranoid?:chainsaw:
What significant differences (I'm really sorry if this has already been brought up, but my English teacher hasn't talked about Ext 2 ever - I'm not sure that she thinks any of us can do it) are there between Ext 1 and 2?
Also, a little bit off the subject, but is anyone willing to tutor future English Extension students next year?

Thanx heaps.
:confused:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ext 1 = Extension course to that which is done in advanced...different topics which require a 'higher' intellect than that to Adv.
Ext 2 = One progressive major work which incorporates everything which you will learn within Year 12

as a choice...

Ask yourself could you do a maintained piece of writing throughout the year? Are you prepared to receive criticism from all fields? Are you comfortable doing ext2 rather than doing it cos it scales high ? and finally are you prepared to construct something which will be the sole basis for your mark for your entire course (which inc. a journal as well as a reflection statement ) ....

if yes... then do it

if you are having doubts... dont.. seriously it doesnt sound hard but to sustain a piece of writing throughout a year is oneof the toughest things you will ever experience as a year 12 student

Leap

free falling
HSC
AsyLum has made some good points there.
Also, ask yourself: Would you regret it if you didn't do it?

I think you may as well give it a try, and if you find it's too difficult, or not what you expected, you can always drop it at any time.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just take it--its not going to take time from your other subjects cos most of it will be done at home, and you can always drop it if it isn't working out.
And don't stress about competition--you are marked on your own merits not compared with everyone else.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by YEAR12
And don't stress about competition--you are marked on your own merits not compared with everyone else.
And right there is where the money shot is...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I would agree with year12, take it, and see if you like it or come up with a good idea etc. If you don't, drop it!! You aren't really ever locked in to doing the subject unless you are only doing 10 units. You can drop it at any time.

narrator

HSC
N/A
your first mistake, listening to what some of us have to say in other posts.

do ext 2, even if you don't enjoy it, it's a good experience, but most people tend to enjoy it, plus you develop a special link with the other people who do it, we are a rare bunch

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by narrator
your first mistake, listening to what some of us have to say in other posts.

do ext 2, even if you don't enjoy it, it's a good experience, but most people tend to enjoy it, plus you develop a special link with the other people who do it, we are a rare bunch
yeah at least this way you WILL know who told the mental hospitals to take you in :D

Sasky

HSC
Thanx for the advice, I was surprised that there had been an actual response to the post :p

So I took the advice and decided to ask our teacher if we could pick it up. Since I started school today a friend and I went up to our teacher and finally got the courage to ask her (I'm still at school at lunch right now) :argue: and I don't think she was too enthusiastic about it and instead gave us a book which had the 2002 Ext 2 major works. I've read the 2001 book last year (i.e. Year 10) and I was just amazed at how well they could write. But yeah, she said read that - and we don't have class until Wednesday so I'm getting more worried - great :confused:

Can a teacher refuse us to take up a subject? :chainsaw:

emzy_87

I really dont think its fair on u if the teacher refuses to take it. If you think u can cope and do well, not treating the whole thing as a joke- then stay enthused and your teacher will see that you are generally keen to partake in the ext2 course. Are there other english teachers willing to take on an EXT2 course???

Sasky

HSC
No, only the one teacher and she's always the one that has taught for ages and ages :mad:

emzy_87

if she has taught it for ages & ages, you would think that she would be a little more enthusiastic- i know that both teachers at my school that have taught it love helping out & teaching it, so to speak.
Perhaps you should sit down and talk to her seriously about it if you really want to do it?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sasky
Can a teacher refuse us to take up a subject? :chainsaw:

that would be in extraordinary circumstances...more likely she wants you to know what your getting into....

besides its not gonna matter to her if you absolutely bum it now will it ?

but if she suggests that you shouldnt do it, think if you still think you can then do it, if not then dont easy as that

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't think she was too enthusiastic about it and instead gave us a book which had the 2002 Ext 2 major works. I've read the 2001 book last year (i.e. Year 10) and I was just amazed at how well they could write.
You should be aware that those books contain only the very best major works - it's quite possible to do well without reaching that (extraordinarily high) standard.

Sasky

HSC
ahhhhhhh - have extension first period today!!! Well I will still be pursuing the subject thanz to all ur support - thanz :D
hmm well wish me luck ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
good luck matey!

all the best it is undoubtedly (sp?too much maths :|) one of the best subjects you will ever do

Sasky

HSC
hey ppl, it looks like I can't do the subject as the teacher "highly did not recommend it" as I would be the only person to do the course in our whole grade, &c - *sigh*

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I will be starting year 12 next term and will continue Extension 1, but am still unsure on doing Ext 2. I love English and I always have, and I'm really *stuck* on choosing Ext 2. Should I or shouldn't I? Its almost a conundrum - seriously :(

:confused:
Hi Sasky. no you are not paranoid. it's very 'normal' to feel the way you are feeling. Let me tell you something, way back in Year 10, I wasn't even sure if I was gonna do Ext 1, let alone Ext 2 English!

the idea of 'Extension 2' may sound horrifying but trust me, it is the LEAST stressful HSC course that I have ever done!! No kidding, if you are well organised and prepared

1) You don't have to be stressed about your Ext 2 English exam because you don't have any. however, if you are unorganised... that's another story

2) It gives you a chance to explore fully your ability as an English student

3) It allows you to expand your imagination

It is normal that you still don't have an idea now, but don't push yourself to hard. great ideas come naturally. just observe everything that goes around you. What's are the current issues? What are the thing that you are interested in? or would like to criticise? any bizarre idea that you wanna present?

Of course, give yourself a few intense brainstorming sessions, they always help.

Lastly, I am sure, all the ex-Ext 2 English students on this forum would be happy to give you some guidance and advice (I know for sure that I would love to help!)

Good luck!!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
hey ppl, it looks like I can't do the subject as the teacher "highly did not recommend it" as I would be the only person to do the course in our whole grade, &c - *sigh*
pft! Listen to me, sweetie. don't listen to them.

Do whatever YOU want to do!

If they don't recommend it, that's their problem. It doesn't mean that you are not capable of doing it. Let me tell you something, my Ex-tutor told me not to do Ext 2 English just because her students failed in it. So I fired her, and took up Ext 2 English. It was probably the best thing I have done (HSC wise). Although I am yet uncertain of my results, whether I would really fail hopelessly or do better than I expect, I am happy that I've done it because I don't have to worry about it NOW (while I am doing my written HSC exams).

Besides, they should be happy that you are the only one who will be doing it because my school is currently worrying of the increasing number of ppl choosing the course! LOL (two years ago, there was only 1 person!!)

So, start a trend :)

Good luck in your decision! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)