• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension 2 English? (And a general plea for advice...) (1 Viewer)

Anvaeon

HSC
Um, hello.

I'm leaping onto this forum rather panic-stricken. Should I pick up Extension 2 English? My situation:

I'm currently studying *ahem* Advanced English, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Extension 1 English.

My plan was to drop the 1 unit Visual Design course I’d studied in the Prelim course to pick up Extension 2 English. I love English, I’m good at English (but by whose standards? I go to a school with 22 students in my year. Saying I’m ‘top of the class’ doesn’t stand for much). But I don’t know… One of my English teachers was quite discouraging today when she questioned if I’d be able to handle the extra workload, the unnecessary pressure. She kept asking me why why why I wanted to study Extension English (as in – what do I need it for?).

I picked up Chemistry late in the Prelim course, and am still catching up. Although that must sound absolutely shocking, my Chemistry/Physics teacher is rather… Unconventional and seems confident that we (another student picked it up late too – we’re a class of 2) can do it (I fear he has too much confidence in us…). Anyway, that’s on top of a drastic drop in Maths marks in the Prelim exams (so more work is needed there) and a problem with equationness in Physics… Would Extension 2 be too much?

I don’t know what I want to do when I leave school. Definitely Uni, but I don’t know what to study. I used to think I wanted to be a science journalist, but now I’m not sure. Science and English… A combination of the two would be good.

I love writing. I love it so so so much. Extension 1 is brilliant (I’ve chosen to study Science Fiction for the next year (with all my sciences it kinda made sense)). I always imagined I’d do Extension 2 – what could be better than writing a ‘major piece’ as homework? How could you even call something like that homework?! Crazy.

But now I’m so doubtful. Everyone’s so worried I’m crumbling/going to crumble under the pressure and workload. The confidence I had in myself is slowly ebbing away and I’m just a bit concerned about my mental health. I don’t know what to do.

Hence me turning up here.

Advice, anyone?

lolwot

HSC
If you believe you can do it, it sounds like a plan and will leave you at a comfortable 12 units. On the pressure aspect, how many hours per day are you studying? Are you taking adequate breaks? Do you have many non-school commitments i.e sport or a job? Balance is important. If you are concerned about your mental health please see a doctor.

Last edited:

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
One of my English teachers was quite discouraging today when she questioned if I’d be able to handle the extra workload, the unnecessary pressure. She kept asking me why why why I wanted to study Extension English (as in – what do I need it for?).

I love writing. I love it so so so much.
If your teacher asks that question again, tell her you want to do it so that you enjoy life, I'm not even kidding. Not EVERY SINGLE subject has to go to looking at a career. Mind you, if you're thinking about anything English related then EE2 will be great for that anyway. I don't think your English teacher is approaching it properly. You're obviously only doing it because you love the subject, and you're decent enough at it, so I don't see why not just try it at the very least. And with the major works thing, I can't really say anything about that, but one guy at my school is doing 4 subjects that have major works :p If you think 1 is too much, think about him and you'll find yourself letting out a sigh of relief!

And with the confidence thing, what happens is that I usually dont put in effort because I cant be bothered (at least for year 11), but when you get the results back and you end up topping subjects because you're getting strong marks, you'll realise that getting strong marks GIVES you that extra bit of confidence to last you until the next results come back, which should hopefully boost your confidence back up, etc. Might just be me though...

amidstreality

HSC
Just to start off before I ramble: Yes. You seem to adore the subject, and from what I can tell from your interest in sciences and science-fiction a billion ideas will flow to your brain the second you even start considering doing your major work - and I can sympathise, how can a major work seem like homework? But take caution if you honestly assess yourself and think that the stress might get to you.

So, as you can tell from my sig, at this point I'm doing a crazy amount of units. For a transitional period I'll even be hitting 15 units, really. Essentially, this has boiled down to me making bad life choices, being very indecisive, and the problem with being a humanities student. I'm finishing Economics this year (week actually, yay!), and in all sincerity even though I have worked hard for the subject, I doubt the results I will get back for it - especially considering my ATAR goal is crazy high. I adore my subjects as you do - Latin and Ancient basically fit together like a glove (and (un?)fortunately, they both have extensions), and English has always been an interest of mine. I have Maths there, because realistically, the lack of variety would probably drive me up the wall, plus my hand will die in the HSC with all the essays I'd have to write.

Now, I'm doing this many units because right now, I'm not sure what to drop. I'm pretty sure I will end up dropping something (though I doubt on some days, but then again, time will tell.) I enjoy my humanities, and I do well. They have extensions I want to do, and so be it. In the same strain, I think you should pick Eng Ext 2 up. If the workload, as your teacher says, is honestly too much, you can drop it later - but better drop later than to have never picked up at all. (And that is with the expectation that I trust that you /will/ drop, and not drive yourself up the wall with the pressure)

If your teacher asks that question again, tell her you want to do it so that you enjoy life, I'm not even kidding. Not EVERY SINGLE subject has to go to looking at a career. Mind you, if you're thinking about anything English related then EE2 will be great for that anyway. I don't think your English teacher is approaching it properly.
^this, I completely agree with. This is what I used to argue my way into entering HSC with the slight prospect of 15 units. Realistically, you will never be pushed again to complete a major creative work and get the support network of feedback like this.

I don’t know what I want to do when I leave school. Definitely Uni, but I don’t know what to study...
But now I’m so doubtful. Everyone’s so worried I’m crumbling/going to crumble under the pressure and workload. The confidence I had in myself is slowly ebbing away and I’m just a bit concerned about my mental health. I don’t know what to do.
^Same boat as you, and I've personally taken the policy of taking all the subjects until I wrap my head around what I actually want to do. Also same boat, because I was discouraged immensely, had to talk through with several teachers, and I'm expected to drop units quite soon. If you're worried about because of how other people view you, don't. Judge yourself on your past and your own merits in terms with coping workload. And always remember, you CAN drop and you SHOULD drop if anything gets too heavy.

That being said, I applaud you on doing three sciences (oh goodness), and I wish you all the best with whatever you decide! If you have other commitments though, like lolwot said, be sure to take that into account.

teeah

HSC
Hey there, I think you're doing exactly the same subjects as me! My teachers asked me the same thing when I said I wanted to EX2 since they thought my interests pretty much lay only in science, but I told them that I'd use my major work as an opportunity to combine my love of both English and science, and it seems to have worked so far :) I'd suggest taking it up anyways and then seeing what it's like since you can always drop it if it becomes too stressful.
:)

Anvaeon

HSC
Thank you so much for all your replies and advice! Your encouragement was just what I needed. I have made my decision: I'm going to do it.

I feel quite a bit steadier now that I've reached that conclusion. I can breathe again. I really hope it works out.

On the pressure aspect, how many hours per day are you studying? Are you taking adequate breaks? Do you have many non-school commitments i.e sport or a job? Balance is important. If you are concerned about your mental health please see a doctor. [lolwot]
I study as much as I possibly can... Is that the right answer? Haha... No - I study/do homework for an hour each morning, and for as long as I can (2-4 hours?) in the evening. Plus weekends. I think it works out at about 20-25 hours a week... ish. But always less at the beginning of term and more towards the end.
I believe I take decent breaks. I think I do.
Balance... Ha, yeah. I take three hour-long dance classes a week and have half a dozen students (a couple for general academic tutoring and the rest for violin). My plan was to drop dance (formally - with the option to still turn up every now and then) after this term, but I don't know what I'll do about my students.

If your teacher asks that question again, tell her you want to do it so that you enjoy life, I'm not even kidding. [Amundies]
This is brilliant. I haven't actually confronted her yet with my finalised decision (I marched into school today ready to tell her, but she wasn't there...), but I am definitely using that when I do.

Yes. You seem to adore the subject, and from what I can tell from your interest in sciences and science-fiction a billion ideas will flow to your brain the second you even start considering doing your major work - and I can sympathise, how can a major work seem like homework? But take caution if you honestly assess yourself and think that the stress might get to you. [amidstreality]
Same boat as you, and I've personally taken the policy of taking all the subjects until I wrap my head around what I actually want to do. Also same boat, because I was discouraged immensely, had to talk through with several teachers, and I'm expected to drop units quite soon. If you're worried about because of how other people view you, don't. Judge yourself on your past and your own merits in terms with coping workload. And always remember, you CAN drop and you SHOULD drop if anything gets too heavy. [amidstreality]
This is so so so good to hear. So reassuring! It's good to see that there are others out there having to fight to study what they want. And you have so much confidence, despite your workload - I'm inspired.

Hey there, I think you're doing exactly the same subjects as me! My teachers asked me the same thing when I said I wanted to EX2 since they thought my interests pretty much lay only in science, but I told them that I'd use my major work as an opportunity to combine my love of both English and science, and it seems to have worked so far [teeah]
Yes! How brilliant! It's nice that someone else has mixed the same subjects. This is such a confidence-boost!

Thanks again for all your help, this has been great.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Did your teacher allow you to pick it up in the end?

Anvaeon

HSC
So it's one year down the track (seriously? where did that time go) and I just wanted to say, for anyone who may stumble upon this thread with similar concerns in the future:

I did Extension 2 English, and it was the best decision. The entire process was so much fun, and incredibly illuminating. I managed my time so there was no last-minute rush and I am so proud of my finished product. It's just like publishing a book! You go through all the creative and editing processes with the teachers, and you end up with something amazing. By far my favourite subject - although it hardly seemed like schoolwork.

This was my only Major Work, so I didn't find the extra workload at all unbearable. For anyone interested in the future - I completely recommend Extension 2 English!!

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
So it's one year down the track (seriously? where did that time go) and I just wanted to say, for anyone who may stumble upon this thread with similar concerns in the future:

I did Extension 2 English, and it was the best decision. The entire process was so much fun, and incredibly illuminating. I managed my time so there was no last-minute rush and I am so proud of my finished product. It's just like publishing a book! You go through all the creative and editing processes with the teachers, and you end up with something amazing. By far my favourite subject - although it hardly seemed like schoolwork.

This was my only Major Work, so I didn't find the extra workload at all unbearable. For anyone interested in the future - I completely recommend Extension 2 English!!
I didn't really read the essays above, so forgive me if you've already answered what I'm about to ask. But out of curiosity, what textual form did you do? I had an absolutely appalling time with EE2 even though I was the top student in my Selective cohort for Adv and EE1. I put it down to the fact that my mentor really basically said no to everything that I wanted to do, and set me on a course for what she wanted me to do. On top of that, I actually took the Critical Analysis form, which I am now starting to think also contributed to my absolute hate for the subject. It was terrible for me. Boring. Unfocused. And my mentor's input basically squeezed out any bit of genuine interest I had in my work. I am suspecting that students who took the Creative Narrative form would have enjoyed the course more as it allowed for creative freedom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)