Extension English 2 (1 Viewer)

aekryan

HSC
Can someone explain how this works aside from the obvious "major work."

Also does it scale well? Would it be risky doing this subject as a part of 10 units?
I heard extension 2 maths gets you extra ATAR points if you achieve an E4. Does that apply for extension 2 English?

HSC
It scales the same (if not, teeny bit less) than English Extension 1. It is not risky if you are willing to put the time in.

Extension 2 Maths does not get you extra ATAR points directly per say. It depends on the uni and the courses you are applying for.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I understand, you just have a major work and a journal to undertake concurrently to document the entire process. You may need to defend your work as well à la viva voce.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is risky as a 9th and 10th unit, it can be more subjective than the other two English. It scales well on a general scale (less than both Maths extension though). It *may* get you bonus points for some humanities courses.

Okay so you have assessment through the year at school on your process, this includes a proposal of the intent of your major work, a viva voce interview about the progress of your work and a report on your project and then a draft presentation. For your external, you submit your major work and a reflection statement on your work.

Any Qs about the subject, feel free to shoot them to me!

evelyn11

HSC
You must submit at the end of the year your major work (which can be a short story, anthology of poetry, critical, etc.) and a reflection statement explaining your intentions and how you brought these to realisation in your piece. Also, internal assessments are carried out, including a viva voce (an interview in which you talk about your ideas and objectives). You also have to maintain a major work journal which traces your progress.

If you decide to undertake Ext 2, it's a fair bit of work, but well worth it when you have a completed piece which you are proud of!

ahdil33

HSC
Just reminding you have to sit 4 different subjects for the HSC, so if you do Ext 2 Maths and Ext 2 English, you'll have to pick up another 2 unit subject and do 12 units, as opposed to doing 10.

aekryan

HSC
Well i'm pretty confident with English as a subject and what i can do with it. However it does all come down to the ATAR. So my main two questions would be a) is it ranked? As in do the vica voce and the draft and all else contribute to a rank and then you get your mark based on your rank?

b) I want to do medicine at NSW and i dropped ext 1 math for the want of 4 unit english a term ago. I'm not sure if this was the best idea now but can i achieve 95+ with it + chem + Legal + 2U math or would it be advisable to ask for ext math back? (which may be problematic) Or alternatively do business studies as a buffer?

inJust

HSC
^ You should have done maths instead. This is coming from someone who doesn't do maths.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well i'm pretty confident with English as a subject and what i can do with it. However it does all come down to the ATAR. So my main two questions would be a) is it ranked? As in do the vica voce and the draft and all else contribute to a rank and then you get your mark based on your rank?

b) I want to do medicine at NSW and i dropped ext 1 math for the want of 4 unit english a term ago. I'm not sure if this was the best idea now but can i achieve 95+ with it + chem + Legal + 2U math or would it be advisable to ask for ext math back? (which may be problematic) Or alternatively do business studies as a buffer?
Would have kept MX1 myself, but yes you can get 95+ with any subject combo. Yes EE2 is rank, it's like any other subject regarding assessments. Yes Viva and draft are assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)