• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Extensions (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Tried the search and haven't found much so here goes.

What do people think about extensions for assignments at uni? Do you think it's fair that some people get more time than others?

Under what circumstances would you feel comfortable asking for an extension? Have you ever asked for an extension for a slightly *cough* reason?

What was the longest extension you have ever been granted?

Do you have any special tactics for requesting extensions you'd like to share and still keep yourself reputable?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don;'t care. they can do what they want. i prefer to get it in on time and go and rest rather than still having things to do. it's my fault if i don't start it early enough because they normally give us plenty of time. this semester i had a week with something due every day, with about 5 weeks notice for each. they were easy enough to get in on time.

i'd ask for an extension if i had circumstances where i couldn't get them in ontime but i'd always try my best to get them in. not for a stupid reason because in the end you're just cheating yourself. if you ask for a stupid reason and they say yes, next time when you really need it they'll say no.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Anything that can be verified may be enough for an extension, I guess, but I haven't had to ask for one before. I would prefer that they were not available, though. If exceptional circumstances arise then there is always the special consideration process.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm getting a deferred exam (I missed philosophy on Monday coz I was puking my guts up) and theres always circumstances which come up that can't be avoided but render the person unable to complete an assessment.
However, I'm anti-extensions for pathetic reasons.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I know of some instances where a 'sickness' has been played up to garner an extension, when the person was totally capable of completing the work on time anyway. Like a cold for example. Cases like that are just laziness and an abuse of the system.

I've never asked for an extension. I've handed things in late, but I've accepted the penalty because I acknowledged it was purely my fault for not doing it on time. If I was genuinely too sick or had exceptional circumstances preventing me from doing the work, then yes I would request an extention.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I'll put my answers in as well.

I think extensions are great, undergrads usually have to be very organised in the way they apply for one. I don't think people who get an extension have any advantage whatsoever over someone who handed it in on time, except if you have someone else in the subject give you their marked assignments.

I have asked for extensions under different circumstances, if it's not gonna get done in time I don't really lose much by asking. I have also done all-nighters ot get them done before 9am the morning after it's due but before they check the submission boxes.

The shortest extension I was ever given was 5 hours, the longest so far was 6 months. At the moment I have 2 subjects with a month long overdue assignments in them that I have extensions for and as long as they are in before the end of the official semester it's not going to be a problem.

When asking for extensions as an undergrad i've found the following useful:
-Don't put all your hopes into getting one, have a backup plan.
-Doctors certificate is needed depending on lecturer.
-Never go in empty handed, when you go ask for an extension at least show them something to do with the assignment, a plan, a few paragraphs, some theory you want to put in. Go in asking if you are on the right track and saying you might need more time to finalise things.
-Leaving it to the last day is usually not a good idea, asking for one after the due date is even worse.
-Lecturers can be nice or be having a bad day, this can also influence your success rate.
-Many lecturers are students too.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Never applied for an extension this yr. Only extensions I had were 'class extensions' e.g. dates mixed up, text books not available on time, WebCT malfunctions (for online quizzes).

I prefer handing in assignments on the due date, early if possible. Handed in 2 assignments due after mid sem. two break both 1 wk early to allow as much time possible to study for exams.

I know of one person who applied for a vast no. of extension sem. 1 - to the extent that she made a promise to herself not to apply for any in sem. 2.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I've never gotten ane xtension.... so many people in my course do though for totally pointless reasons... if you have a doctor's certificate, apparently the uni can't refuse.

santaslayer

HSC
I'll be honest and say that I'm only comfortable with extensions if they were for myself. I get extremely pissed off when others get extensions because they don't finish in time...and try to find the easy way out
That being said, I 'have never applied for an extension before...

So what I'm trying to say is that if it works for you then it's good...if it works against u then its crap...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)