• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

EY vs KPMG (1 Viewer)

olechel

HSC
Hey...i know alot of ppl have applied for grad recruitment with the big4 accounting firms. ive been lucky enough to get an offer from both ey and kpmg with the tax division.

Im finding it a bit hard to decide on which to take up. I initially thought to myself that id take EY if the pay was the same but KPMG has offered 50k (3k more than EY) so thats thrown me out lol

Any advice on these 2 firms would be awesome....especially if you work there (ie what its really like to work there)

Thanks

santaslayer

HSC
EY are famous for lower starting salaries.

EY have a better (or more relaxed, IMO) culture.

KPMG are crazy workers IMO

KPMG has a better name

KPMG has a sexier starting salary.

EY has a personal chef. Nice finger food. They also have regular health checks...

i've only ever tried EY. i dunno. :p

edit: if u were taken up by both firms than u have no probs whicheva one u go to...ur're suppose to be sexy if both want u...

olechel

HSC
haha thanks for your input

i thought kpmg had a better name too but apparently internationally ey is more highly looked up to.

ive heard auditors at kpmg work back to crazy times...u think the same is within tax division?

turtleface

HSC
I base this on Melbourne office:

I'm of the opinion that E&Y screens its women grads in terms of physical appearance. You may want to make your decision on that basis. :) Having said this, most of the guys recruited seem to be bogans (though at least they're not idiots like some of the pwc cadets at melbourne uni (so i dont mean you seremify).

KPMG is smaller than E&Y internationally, but this is explained by the more global diversification of its operations, given that the U.S. makes up the bulk of the other firm's markets and the most revenue comes from. However, KPMG is the fastest growing of the big 4 both nationally and internationally.

Additionally, KPMG is about to, if not already has, exceeded E&Y in revenues in Australia.

E&Y does have a bigger Tax practice than KPMG I think.

I disagree with santalayer when he says E&Y is more relaxed than KPMG. At KPMG its so relaxed that wearing suits is not compulsory. Its really relaxed, though I have no basis for comparison.

KPMG's name is actually very strange...klynveld peat marwich geordelor (not sure about spelling). I personally thing Ernst & Young sounds better...just sounds more orthodox...i have difficulty pronouncing kpmg.

KPMG also invests more into its people from what I've heard.

Theres much more differences than this...but I'm hungry now and need to eat

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually for tax- at least with cadetships, I think EY trainees got offered a higher pay ($29k) than other firms ($27k).

Worldwide, I think EY is bigger than KPMG isn't it? And domestically, EY's larger revenues is greatly attributed to their mergers and acquisitions post-Anderson but won't last in the long run?

*shrugs*

The EY building in George St looks nice :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
EY also has a casual business wear policy in the office too, turtleface

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
turtleface said:
I base this on Melbourne office:

I'm of the opinion that E&Y screens its women grads in terms of physical appearance. You may want to make your decision on that basis. :) Having said this, most of the guys recruited seem to be bogans (though at least they're not idiots like some of the pwc cadets at melbourne uni (so i dont mean you seremify).

KPMG is smaller than E&Y internationally, but this is explained by the more global diversification of its operations, given that the U.S. makes up the bulk of the other firm's markets and the most revenue comes from. However, KPMG is the fastest growing of the big 4 both nationally and internationally.

Additionally, KPMG is about to, if not already has, exceeded E&Y in revenues in Australia.

E&Y does have a bigger Tax practice than KPMG I think.

I disagree with santalayer when he says E&Y is more relaxed than KPMG. At KPMG its so relaxed that wearing suits is not compulsory. Its really relaxed, though I have no basis for comparison.

KPMG's name is actually very strange...klynveld peat marwich geordelor (not sure about spelling). I personally thing Ernst & Young sounds better...just sounds more orthodox...i have difficulty pronouncing kpmg.

KPMG also invests more into its people from what I've heard.

Theres much more differences than this...but I'm hungry now and need to eat
lol..
Interview: what does KPMG stands for?
me: hmm... i dont think names are that important.. its what you can do that matters :)

pwned!

lol, on the clothing issue. suits are too expensive to clean.. so i dont wear suits..

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I worked at KPMG in the summer and we had another vacationer who also is in the same position as you. He went to EY for like 4 weeks and then came to KPMG... and he has decided to stay. He says that the work environment at KPMG seems more relaxed and the people are more geniune, though i cannot attest to having worked at EY i can only put a vote in for KPMG. All the partners and managers are very professional in their dealings with you, and i can assure you that the female members of the team are also easy on the eyes. anyways good luck with your decision, and hope it goes well for ya

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I know what KPMG stands for purely because they mentioned it in the information session.

Btw I think a lot of people tend to end up working at the place where they did their final vacation/internship/summer work- not based on any facts, just from what I've heard both from coops and normal Comm students.

ihgjuk

HSC
Eagles, did they really ask you what KPMG stands for?
lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
santaslayer said:
EY are famous for lower starting salaries.
Funnily enough EY cadets get paid more than all the other cadets.

santaslayer said:
KPMG are crazy workers IMO
Funny enough (again) I heard EY are the ones who are crazy workers.

santaslayer said:
KPMG has a better name
Since when? *cough* Tax Shelters *cough*

santaslayer said:
EY has a personal chef. Nice finger food. They also have regular health checks...
Personal chef? ooooh now that's something which is nice. Is anyone allowed to order from them? Sounds quite appetising :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ihgjuk said:
Eagles, did they really ask you what KPMG stands for?
lol
They asked us this as a joke at the information session.

Isn't it something like Klein Pete Marwick Gawdler? I can't spell but I've heard my KPMG friend say the names over and over again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)