• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

fairly tale assessment (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
hi there.. im in yr11.. so im doing the prelim 3u eng course..

anywho.. ive got an assessment to do where I have to
1) rewrite a fairy tale
2) rewrite a passage from the Great Gatsby

both dont have to be long.. but i have to change the text type and genre.. and its worth a fair amount..

i thought the assessment was pretty odd.. has anyone else done anything similar / have resource for this type of stuff (particularly q1) ?

thanks

ms.cinderella

HSC
we did something similar.
writing a fairytale.. although we just had to change the original to one with modern values. is that what you meant by rewriting a fairytale? cos yea.. take cinderella for eg, you could write it in another person's perspective, say the evil stepmother... and you could change things to cinderella was the mean one.. and the horse and carriage could become a motorbike..... something like that, perhaps?
as for great gatsby.. i have no idea what that is! lol.. hope i've helped u somehow...

aud

HSC
Yea, we did a fairy tale appropriation at the start of Year 11... I took Anderson's The Little Mermaid and wrote it in three sections of blank verse... but none of the teachers recognised it, so my initial mark of 9/10 got moved to 8/10 - my advice - do one that the teachers will know and keep it relatively simple :D I was too complex and took Anderson's original version, which isn't really the same as the Disney version

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
have you read any feminist articles or lecture notes onfairytales? i was considering doing fairytales as part of my ext2 project... and i came upon a site- something like surla lune- where they tore to shreds certain fairytales.....
now i LOVE the ;little mermaid. so you could imagine how devasted i was when i came upon one which attempted to destroy my childhood fantasy.. i didnt read it though.. im not ready for that type of reality check:(
well. my point was, maybe you can try reading some of these articles and adapt it to a fairytale.... you know, like ms.cinderella said, veiw it from a different perspective. but not only that, add a twist...
the more radical and surprising... the better!
"ooOOo.. i do love a good intrigue"

stargaze

HSC
ive got the book politically correct bedtime stories.. has satired fairy tales.. so thats a start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)