• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fall of the Roman Republic - Crassus (1 Viewer)

aeraw

Our class has been asked to prepare an essay that evaluates the political and military career of Crassus. So far, I haven't been able to find many sources, my major one at the moment is Plutarch's "Life of Crassus". It's pretty difficult to read through because the translation is pretty poor in parts so progress is slow. Has anyone else made <any> notes on Crassus or can they point me to some more modern and ancient sources?

Any help would be appreciated.

classics_chic

HSC
Plutarch is very good, Suetonius writes a little about him from memory. With Crassus you need to extrapolate all you can from the little that you have.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Appian - The civil wars
Plutarch - fall of the roman republic ( life of crassus )
Scullard - from the gracchi to nero
you could try some Cicero speeches and basically anything with caesar or pompey and the "triumvirate" ( note remember not to just called them The Triumvirate, as they were never of any officiality ) The most important part about searching for sources is to learn that most information comes from indirect sources, ie those which focuses upon another person, rather than just relying on ones with big "CRASSUS" headings.

If you need anymore help dont hesitate to contact me via email/pm/msn as i did the fall of the roman republic last semester in uni

aeraw

i completed and handed in the crassus essay a month or so ago, but thanks for all your help
if anyone is still stuck with the essay i can send you mine, although im not sure how good it is as we still havent got it back :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hehe oops :)

only just saw this thread today

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)