Favourite Note/Scale (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
In the grand tradition of the western tonal system with our T-T-S-T-T-T-S intervals, what is your favourite scale/note/pitch/cluster/chord/etc?

I love Ab major. It will be appearing in some form of composition. It's just so sad, but still warm, esp when supported by a big bassy tonic. If anyone has a DVD from "Warner Home Video", the introduction thing when you put the disc in is a good example.

Also I love Db and Gb Major. Db maj is good for a soppy, melancholic rainy day plonking away broken chords at the piano. Gb is good for pushing something forward.

The circle of fifths is a fascinating thing. Long live magnetic resolutions!! Unfortunately this means anything really sort of irresolute and atonal is at horrible to the tonal ear, but hey...

Call me crazy, but this 'affectation of the keys', or the quality of a key signature, affects us all. We gotta choose how and where to pitch our compositions somehow! What's your opinion, where have you pitched your pitch material so far?

Ramblings of a strange individual.

Adam B

HSC
I hear you man

im a fan of pieces that are in G flat they sound so warm especially for something like schubert. I also am starting to like modes now, anything modal is cool.

Ohh yeah dont forget circle of fourths always helps you out in any baroque piece

I havent pitched my artsongs yet!! better do it HSC coming up!!

ccgs_jono

I'd definitely have to say my favourite scale when playing on my piano would be Gminor, F#minor and Ebminor, they are all very melancholy and reflective scales, but in contrast to these I love Db Major, Ab Major and F Major. On my Viola I would say I like Gminor, F Major and Fminor. However, pentatonic scales, modes and whole-tone scales (ie. Debussy, Vaughan-Williams and co.) encapsulate amazing tonalities too, gotta love em. Yeah...that's my crapping on for the day...ciao!

serenesorrow

Well I listen to a lot of metal so I guess you could say I'm into the Em and Bm keys.

I'm a big fan of the Hirajoshi scale though (eg. E F# G B C).

kylie_robbo

I hate flats!!! apart from Bb... and occasionally Eb

My favourate chord is Bb with C in the bass...

the sax man

I'm a huge fan of D Dorian and Eb Dorian (SO WHAT). They're really comfortable chords to play around with on the sax. I also like the obvious 'anything in concert Bb' cause I know most of the scales to play around with.

I love the chord Ab maj9. I play that on the piano, then I go to G min9, sounds great.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
for a sad, melancholy sound, i really like Aminor
it's so simple!
there's onli 2 flats (i think)
but all these chords are great, i think i'll use them in my composition! MWAHAHAHAHA! thank you!

ccgs_jono

lmfao...A minor is the relative minor of C major, therefore it has no sharps and no flats... G minor and Bb major have 2 flats...anyway hope you're ok now???

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I love A minor because it sounds so oriental... well i guess most minor scales then actually cause of the raised 7th

MouNtY

ummmmmm.....hey i like CMaj. how much more simple could you get lol. i actually like F#7...it just has a real nice ring to it.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
whoa!!!
who knew that a minor was a non-flatted scale!
obviously you did :D
now i feel dumb and stupid
i think i'll go cry myself to sleep

olay

HSC
Originally posted by ccgs_jono
lmfao...A minor is the relative minor of C major, therefore it has no sharps and no flats... G minor and Bb major have 2 flats...anyway hope you're ok now???

ermm darlin, you forgot the raised seventh..... g# !!!

the sax man

it depends, do ya mean harmonic minor, crikket, or aeolian mode (also known as natural minor possibly????)?

sugared plum

HSC
i lOVE b minor is is the saddest key ever.

oh i can cry just hearing the scale.

chepas

HSC
*Bashes a harsh and evil root-position C minor chord starting an octave above middle C with a really deep C in the base with two fingers at an octave, indicating that terror shall come to Silver Persian* ::chainsaw: :angry: :D (and any other appropriate smiley.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)