Feature Article?? (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
In either Section II (Creative) or Section III (Extended Response), what features, language, structure, etc. etc. is appropriate to use in a "feature article"??

And more importantly, what exactly IS a feature article anyway?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
What is a feature article?

Feature articles and editorials are two of the most prominent genres of writing in newspapers and magazines today. Almost every article you read in a magazine is a feature article whether it is written about which make-up to buy or how to help your child in school. Feature Articles are everywhere.

While there is no specific definition to be found in a dictionary or listing of journalistic terms, a feature article can be defined by its features:

Feature articles can be written at any time or at a specific time of the year such as seasons or holidays. In other words they are not front page news stories.

Authors who write feature articles write about topics they are familiar with or topics that grab their interest.

They are written with factual information that can be researched.

Feature articles can be written about any topic.

taken from http://www.teachwriting.com/FeatureArticles.htm

hipPo3

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
In either Section II (Creative) or Section III (Extended Response), what features, language, structure, etc. etc. is appropriate to use in a "feature article"??

And more importantly, what exactly IS a feature article anyway?
basically ur opinion .. i think u can write in 2nd and 1st person
i did a feature article in my trials for section 2 .. i hate em .. im too monotone

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
really... i thought feature articles can't be personal... thats why i always write feature articles in 3rd person narration...

Pro Gamer

HSC
karen88 said:
really... i thought feature articles can't be personal... thats why i always write feature articles in 3rd person narration...
They can be extremely personal, read the ones in the magazines, a lot of the time they are about the writer eating lunch, arriving late for interview etc.

HSC
so do you say "I felt the technique elevated the emotion" or "the emotion was elevated for the audience" ?

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
i guess it really depends on the purpose and the topic then...

nwatts

HSC
Pro Gamer said:
They can be extremely personal, read the ones in the magazines, a lot of the time they are about the writer eating lunch, arriving late for interview etc.
Yes but that's the kind of new journalism HSC markers are NOT looking for.

Feature articles - short sentences, objective styled language, short paragraphs, lots of quotes, authoritative tone (not always formal, depends on the style you're going for).

The problem with feature articles and the HSC is that markers are looking for your argument when there essentially shouldn't be one. Feature articles are used to report information, not to put forward an argument or push the values of the composer. But when we get in an exam, we're expected to inject a solid thesis into a feature article (as you would an essay) to show the marker that we're evaluating the topic rather than regurgitating information.

That's why i'm not a fan.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ok, thanks everyone.

The feature article they asked for in... 2001 - 2003, one of those, didn't really have any particular statements for you to make a thesis about, it was just, like, "write a feature article about change", you were pretty much free to use any 'thesis' you wanted to.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Feature article

§ Is engaging in style, often using humour, wit,
sarcasm, colloquialism, inflated language, exaggeration.

§ Often treats a serious issue in a light
hearted way.

§ Anecdotes can be used to personalise and
include readers.

§ As a feature article, there is normally a
central concern being addressed, regardless of style.

§ Topic will be of current concern, engaging
because of context.

§ Headline will be playful, perhaps a pun,
perhaps striking, perhaps silly or exaggerated.

§ The writer's attitude might be open minded,
understanding that the ideas being raised are often
rejected by the community.

§ A background might be given, an historical
perspective, which gives the impression that the writer
has researched the issue, analysed its progress.
Provides credibility.

§ A feature article is not a report of an event
or set of facts. It is designed to challenge, provoke,
confront, entertain, lead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)