• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

fee question (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
hey im doing a double degree, does that mean im gonna pay double?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
jannny said:
hey im doing a double degree, does that mean im gonna pay double?
No its usually around the same as a single degree. sometimes a few G more a year sometimes a few g less. Gotta remember they go longer then single degrees so the uni is getting 2 more years of payments already.

kenny.

HSC
You pay per subject or per credit points you get, and the amount depends on what faculty. ie. med courses would cost more than an arts course..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Jerruy said:
blakegman said:
No its usually around the same as a single degree. sometimes a few G more a year sometimes a few g less. Gotta remember they go longer then single degrees so the uni is getting 2 more years of payments already.
You two should lose posting privileges

jannny

HSC
kenny. said:
You pay per subject or per credit points you get, and the amount depends on what faculty. ie. med courses would cost more than an arts course..
ok thanks, this answers my question.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
You two should lose posting privileges
haha im guessing im way off then. i just looked at the uac book and under the full fee prices the doubles compared to singles seemed pretty much the same. Maybe thats an incorrect way of viewing it however.

williamc

HSC
ari89 said:
The prices per year depend on:

1) The subjects chosen (i.e. national priority, contribution band 1,2,3)
2) Amount of subjects chosen

Groupings can be seen here: http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/FeesLoansAndScholarships/Undergraduate/CommonwealthSupportForYourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/WhatYouPay.htm#T3

Wow, now Business/commerce/economics subjects are counted as band 3 subjects.
Fuck.

They have also put the prices up for bands..

FUCKING LABOUR.

"education revolution" my arse.

Prices going up.. uni becoming more unaffordable. Leaving in year 10 and becoming a tradey is looking more inviting than leaving uni with a huge HECS debt.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
With most double degrees, its just an extra year and you do an extra subject or two each semester so yeah. And in the end you do drop a few subjects from each degree that you are doing, so you are not doing the whole two degrees, more like half of each. Its far cheaper to do a double degree than it is to do the degrees sepeartely. But then again you got to think more about the workload that you will undertake being a double degree student.

And centrelink will ask you if you are overloading and stuff, not sure how it affects your alloawance though.

hehe both courses that I did were national priorites..Well education wasnt called national priority back when i did it in 02 but i didnt complete it so i have to pay the HECS for that, and the Nursin degree.

As mentioned on that website, say you do nursing, you will do like science and anatomy classes whcih are classified in the higher band. I think it cost me $880 per bioscience unit...and i had to do 3 (plus repeat one which i only JUST passed the 2nd time around), where as the other subjects were $400-500 each.

They had on Sunrise this morning about uni and HECs and they said that like medicine, you earn a LOT of money and so hte HECs in turn becomes like an investment coz you will be earning up to $100K a year and so can get a few millino in your career of say 40 years or so....
But that doesnt count really if you drop out of the degree.

Plus if you think about it, it is like $20K for a few years....you will definatly earn more than $20K a year when you get out there and work, even if its just in maccas or seomthing..but you'd pray that after being at uni for that long you wouldnt end up with a job at maccas lol.

HSC
rozymisty said:
And centrelink will ask you if you are overloading and stuff, not sure how it affects your alloawance though.
do they? i mean as long as its a full time workload every session (i.e. at least 18 c.p.) then it doesn't matter? so it may become a problem if you overload so much you can afford to do part time study...

el gwapo

HSC
eventually you will pay more, because the course is longer. but my yearly fees are cheaper than my sisters even though I do a double degree, though part of that reason is due to i do a "priority" subject.

loser101

HSC
williamc said:
Fuck.

They have also put the prices up for bands..

FUCKING LABOUR.

"education revolution" my arse.

Prices going up.. uni becoming more unaffordable. Leaving in year 10 and becoming a tradey is looking more inviting than leaving uni with a huge HECS debt.
dude that was on the drawing boards and scheduled for in the last budget put out by the liberals.... :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)