• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fees (1 Viewer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
plus your union fees, which, at Sydney uni are like $500 a year to be paid upfront, plus the cost of course readers and stuff, depending on the course u prob need close to $800 at least to start uni.

MuSaRuRWa

Originally posted by kimmeh
i was reading in the paper and saw how theyre lifting fees in 2007. A BA degree in UNSW will rise from 11k to ~15k
i think its from 2006, and it'll be a 25% increase .....

doe

HSC
N/A
yeh

my parents told me the other day my oldest sisters law and economics degrees cost about $2000 all up.

[edit thats ~$2k a year all up see below :p ]

i think this is a real shame. in my mind theres no doubt that richer people are taking places from poorer, smarter people even right now. to put it a different way, i feel the economic status of your parents is a large factor in whether or not you gain a degree, or even attempt one.

im not saying its right or wrong, my parents pay for most of my degree (even though im in a hecs place ...), but i dont think it bodes well for fee increases :(

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
you can do hecs buts its a massive risk, particularly when your heart lies in an arts based subject. if you're a 17 year old fresh out of highschool would you sign up for $25,000 of debt to get that degree in english literature or social studies? think also if neither your parents nor anyone in your family had a degree either.

yeah you only have to pay it back once you start earning a certain amount of money, but it can be hard to get credit cards or a home loan if you have large debts. if you're earning $40k a year (which is fuck all in sydney) and paying of hecs, well, im glad i wont have to.

its hard not to look at a degree as anything more than a qualification but a bit of life experience has led me to see a well rounded arts degree as something quite important.

i really think the government should give free degrees to people who are good at a certain topic (be its arts, business or science). the rest should pay moderate hecs. i dont understand how a government can have an estimated 4 billion dollar surplus and say theres no money for higher education. sigh ... :(

doe

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MuSaRuRWa
wow, which yr was this?
1997. i just double checked, .. it was $1700 a year. if she started next year it would be $8000 a year.

dont forget that Dr Nelson (our good education minister) got his degree when they were free :)

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
what do you guys think of this? i used to never give a shit and i still probably wouldnt turn up at a protest but things just seem to be going down the tubes. everytime i lose motivation to study i think of the billions of people who would give their left nut to have the opportunities i have had living in australia. then i come to bos and post random rants :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
its really annoying, especially when u cant do anything about it, protests have so far proven pointless, and the government really doesnt give a crap about uni students.
i dont mind defering my hecs and paying for some of my education, but when i graduate on a salary of less than $40,000 a year, and have, at this stage, a $30,000 hecs debt (who knows how much it'll be after the increase fees) i've got to question whether its really worth it.
with the increasing population, they've got to increase uni places, you know like 20,000 people missed out on a place at uni last year? they cant keep just increasing fees to limit uni availability to the brilliantly genius and the rich. maybe if they didnt spend so much money on stupid missile defence systems and stuff.
Australia has really got to sort out its spending priorities, i know i really have no authority on the topic whatsoever, but if we spend money on educating our citizens, then wont our wealth continue to grow? and then we'd have more money to spend helping out other countries etc etc etc.
ack stupid government, i want to kick them!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just defer. It is not that bad. Besides, just be thankful that we do have the HECS system, as at least this way everyone is able to enter university regardless of their financial situation (the union fees (which should be voluntary, or at least only one bloody organistion and not three) and readers/textbooks may be a slight problem, but financial help exists for those in dire need).
A tertiary education should not be free, as attending university is a privilege (that all should have the ability to access, hence HECS) and not a right as with regular schooling. I do recognise the great value of learning for the sake of learning (which explains the double combination that I have taken), yet I do not expect the nation at large to provide for any aspect of my tertiary education, be it vocational or not, beyond the HECS system. To expect such a thing would be stupid given the nature of today's Australia.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by doe
i dont understand how a government can have an estimated 4 billion dollar surplus and say theres no money for higher education. sigh ... :(
Just thought I would tell you that I was watching the news the other day and apparently, with the increase in wages that teachers were granted and something else, the Government's budget is now in deficit, it is the first time in something like ten years:).

By the way, I have been hearing on the news a lot lately that so many University students are below the poverty line, they can't even afford to feed themselves properly. This is set to get even worse with the price of text books to rise, adding an average of $100 per semester onto University costs:(.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I thought it was the NSW State Government that was in defecit due to teacher payrises, not the federal? I'm not sure though.

But it so expensive... especially for those of us who have to add living costs on to that.

Arts Degree= $4000 a year
Living in Sydney= $14000 a year
Uni Fees, Books, random things needed for course= $1000 pa

That's $19000 dollars a year that it costs me to go to uni... and I don't get any govt assistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)