Fermentation of glucose(sugar) (1 Viewer)

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
Did anyone write up an experiemnt on the fermentation of glucose and monitor the mass changes. I really need help, if anyone can pls give me information or give m,e an outline how to set it up it would be appreciated

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
gadbil said:
Did anyone write up an experiemnt on the fermentation of glucose and monitor the mass changes. I really need help, if anyone can pls give me information or give m,e an outline how to set it up it would be appreciated
this might work better in a chemistry forum but basically...

you prepare a glucose solution by mixing water, glucose and yeast together and put it in a conical flask. Then you weigh this and record its mass. Now, what will happen is the yeast will catalyse the fermentaton reaction and covert glucose into ethanol, releasing carbon dioxide gas--> therefore mass is lost. At my school we put a cotton bud to seal off the conical flask, because that way it allowed carbon dioxide to leave the flask, but avoided oxygen going into the flask (you need to have an absence of oxygen ie an ANAEROBIC environemt for fermnetation). You may also connect a tube from the conical flask to a beaker of limewater, to confirm that the gas produced is C02 (it will go milky if present). You leave this for about a week at about 37 degrees and weigjh it every day, recording mass changes. Yous hould notice the mass decreases.

C6H1206 (aq) --zymase--> 2CO2 (g) + 2C2H5OH (aq)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
At my school we used corks and glad/clign wrap stoppers. The corks suck because they are porous.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
dude we just used scrunced up paper, or else the bloody fruit flys woul try to deprive us of our beer, i mean ruin our precious experiment :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
LOL!

I personally wanted to eat the glucose/starch mix because it smelt like dough or bread of something.

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
THank you

Thank you so so so much HSC for life u really saved me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)