fighting styles / combat (1 Viewer)

cheetah

HSC
Hey, im a die hard martial arts fanatic :). Im currently studying boxing at Cabramatta PCYC, but I find boxing dosent teach a broad range of techniques. Previously i was studying shaolin kung fu (tiger) and ive reached level II, which isnt that high. Anyways, after my sifu left Sydney I havent been able to find a fighting style as good, disciplined, intensive as my old master Xing Wu (Brett Russell - 32nd Generation Shaolin Tiger). If anyone knows anywhere in Sydney that practises Shaolin Kung Fu (Any style), i`d be very much appreciated.

If anyone study's some sort of combat style, (even military training), post the styles you currently train under, their postives & negatives, and where abouts the class is situated.

klh

HSC
what about Dong Tam? arent they shaolin? try them out? dont know much except that they do the new years lion dances so ya...

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I've been doing GKR Karate for close to 8 years now, but I don't think it's probably up to the intensity you're looking for...

I've heard that there's a really intensive dojo somewhere out near Liverpool way, but I can't remember the name or the style. Apparently, you make an agreement to turn up to all lessons and train as hard as possible, and the sensei will only take you on as long as you've had previous martial arts training. If you miss two weeks in a row, though, you have to start from white belt all over again. :S Very strict stuff, that is...

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
cheetah said:
I find boxing dosent teach a broad range of techniques.
Yeah, true that boxing is limited in its techniques opposed to other arts.. but, as far as hands go... boxing is the best art, period. No other arts come close to the old sweet science :)

Some cross training with wrestling + ground work... there shouldn't be too many people out there that will bother you.

I train BJJ, Boxing, Kickboxing, Greco and MMA up in Newcastle. Always keen for a training session or a spar, so PM me if keen.

ladyknight

HSC
You might want to consider taking up medeival reenactment (sword, spear, dagger, etc.) - I've been doing it for a year now, I reckon it's awesome. Takes tons of discipline, and its immensely physically demanding (and often quite painful, which is really the best teacher :p). Worth it though. You interested? I'll tell you more if you are.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)