Final Subject Selections - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

frontin

HSC
Hi everyone,

before I rant I would like to thank all of those who advised me with my Music 1/2 scenario. You'll see that my school and music teachers organised some things and I'm definitely doing 2 next year. If its a bit too difficult I'll just drop to 1 :) Thanks though to everyone who advised me on that when I was very unsure.

Also, I'm still unsure about which two subjects I should have chosen out of Modern, Eco and Legal. In the end I did make a choice since I had to hand it in and am quite happy but am quite curious as to what Modern would have offered me. For anyone who hasn't read my posts, in the two lines these 3 subjects were the ones that appealed to me most but neither one interests me more then the other. I'm quite an all rounder but the only downfall I see at picking Eco and Legal is that I haven't really done it before in my life so it will be completely new.

Okay so here they are. It would be great if anyone did similiar subjects to this and could give me any comments, hints or just suggest the workload or difficulty of each. Other then that its been great to get some input from experienced members on here. Also I'm pretty sure extension classes are separate and different classes from the regular ones, so was just wondering if anyone could clear that up for me.

English Ext. 1
Maths Ext. 1
Music 2
Legal Studies
Economics

Anyway, yep great feedback would be appreciate about if its a good combination and if they are enjoyable subjects themselves. Just for extra note, I would really love to do a Media/Com or Psychology course. I know that it does depend on the individual themselves but it would be helpful to get the opinions of those who have already or are doing the subjects at the moment.

Thanks, Frontin.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I reckon legal studies is alright, if you are interested in that sort of stuff. As for extension 1 maths and english, as long as you cope with the workload, you should be fine with those subjects. Don't really know much about the other 2 subjects though. But if you want to do those subjects, then by all means go for it :)

frontin

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
you're making a mistake choosing legal studies. its a bore and a confusing, complicated and detailed subject. There's lots of reading and essay writing.
If you like that, then go for it
Really?

I thought Modern would be a bit more Essay writing and reading. I expected Legal to be a bit of a bore but some senior members have advised me it gets a lot more interesting with Crime and Family Law in Year 12.

What subjects are you doing?

I do love my English though and just putting in an opinion and having the opportunity for a debate is something I really enjoy. I don't mind Essay writing but happen to do good at it. Speeches are my favourite though because public speaking to me is something I naturally like.

Modern seems interesting but in the end it was just a decision of mix and match.

frontin

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I reckon legal studies is alright, if you are interested in that sort of stuff. As for extension 1 maths and english, as long as you cope with the workload, you should be fine with those subjects. Don't really know much about the other 2 subjects though. But if you want to do those subjects, then by all means go for it :)
Thanks for that, I've noticed you're a frequent poster so I trust your judgement. Yep, I'm definitely doing some form of Music so theres no question about that. It was just the whole 1 or 2 scenario that got me confused but im good now.

My main problem was the whole legal, eco and modern selection. Whats exactly the syllabus for legal in a symplified version :uhhuh:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Hmm, the stuff you would be learning in the preliminary course would be things like basic legal notions, sources of law, the australian constitution, the operation of the legal system, the individual and the state in law, such as power and authority, legal controls on state power, their duties and rights, and then you study two particular groups and their status in law in society, my school is doing women and migrants at the moment.

Disclaimer: half my post count isn't helpful to anybody :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you did commerce in year 9/10 and liked it, you're likely to also enjoy economics, it's a very intereseting subject and very applicable to the real world as you will find out. ;)

tennille

HSC
My sister is currently doing Legal Studies and she enjoys it so much.

English Extension 1 was a fantastic course. I absolutely loved it. But it really depends on what module you do for the HSC.

karnoganguli

HSC
Ecos is a good move as its probably the most relevant subject to the real world (well out of the subjects you've picked). Ecos is a subject that really bright students do and is a rewarding subject. If you have a bad teacher then don't give up. However, it'll probably be boring. If you have a good teacher it'll be the best subject. However, it is a workload just like eng. ext and maths ext. I don't do music and legal so i don't know about them. Its a subject you can't bshit in. You either know it or you don't. There will be a great range in marks as well (in the preliminary course anyway).

Last edited:

Daddark

HSC
OKAY if you get below 95 in maths and english i suggest you attempt general unless you are motivated and otherwise listen to me lol ok umm sooo.. pick the subjects you like like ymm... chemistry maybe and also dont pick too many major project courses, music 2 is not necessary because who the fuck wanna know history of music go get music tutor music at school is just history no frekn composition and nothing to do with ur future and also i suggest doing 1 science subject 1 social science and math coz it will help ya

hope that helps

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Daddark said:
OKAY if you get below 95 in maths and english i suggest you attempt general unless you are motivated and otherwise listen to me lol ok umm sooo.. pick the subjects you like like ymm... chemistry maybe and also dont pick too many major project courses, music 2 is not necessary because who the fuck wanna know history of music go get music tutor music at school is just history no frekn composition and nothing to do with ur future and also i suggest doing 1 science subject 1 social science and math coz it will help ya

hope that helps
mate, i don't know about you, but i got 92 in my SC for maths and 93 for english (partly because i hardly tried), and i am doing mighty fine in 4u maths and advanced english. it really depends on how hard you study in the next 2 years.

if you're gonna study for your future, then you might as well do standard english and general maths, pd/h/pe, hospitality and something else. because you certainly won't need anything beyond those subjects in the future. THATS IF you don't plan to go to uni.

i suggest you pick something you like and know you'll do well in. in the end, what you pick is what you'll get.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
frontin, is subject selections all over yet? Have the school given you the "initial survey" yet?

and ropa let you do Music 2? interesting considering that his Music 1 students this year did Music 1.9 lol sure u'll be able to hack Music 2.95? i'm sure you'll be alright. and u still havent revealed yourself to me mate. not happy.

HSC
Riviet said:
you're likely to also enjoy economics, it's a very intereseting subject and very applicable to the real world as you will find out. ;)
Arghh, i keep on hearing people who liked economics and im extremely jealous of them. I had chosen economics for next year, only for my school to decide that there wasn't sufficient demand for it. now im in ancient history, anyone got any comments on that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)