• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Finding the exact value (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
How do I do these questions in the easiest way possible without using a graph?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
A graph wouldn't help in finding the exact value in this one.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
A graph wouldn't help in finding the exact value in this one.
I mean the ASTC rule, I think you have to use that rule for any method you use. I was looking at the sample answer and they done this question in two methods, I looked at the easier looking method and I didn't understand what happened in the last two lines.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I mean the ASTC rule, I think you have to use that rule for any method you use. I was looking at the sample answer and they done this question in two methods, I looked at the easier looking method and I didn't understand what happened in the last two lines.

Don't need ASTC, just note that tan = sin/cos, and since the tan is positive and the sin is negative (both given), the cos must be negative, since a fraction is positive if and only if its numerator and denominator have the same sign.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Don't need ASTC, just note that tan = sin/cos, and since the tan is positive and the sin is negative (both given), the cos must be negative, since a fraction is positive if and only if its numerator and denominator have the same sign.
What happened in the last two lines of the working out though? There's more to this working out but I understand the rest but not the last two lines.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How did they make cos^2theta the subject?
Simple rearrangement of the previous equation: isolate all cos^2 theta terms to one side and then divide both sides by the coefficient of cos^2 theta.

It's exactly the same as making X the subject in:1 – X = 49X

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Simple rearrangement of the previous equation: isolate all cos^2 theta terms to one side and then divide both sides by the coefficient of cos^2 theta.

It's exactly the same as making X the subject in:1 – X = 49X
Now I get it, I honestly don't know how I didn't realise 49cos^2theta + cos^2theta = 50cos^2theta, made it so much simple making cos^2theta = x, thanks!

Startales

HSC
I'd draw a triangle and use SOH CAH TOA. I.e. tanx= 7/1, therefore hypotenuse is 7^2+1^2 which is root 50. Therefore exact value of cosx is 1/root 50 but the angle lies in the 3rd quadrant since tanx>0 and sinx<0. Hence cosx is -ve 1/root 50

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'd draw a triangle and use SOH CAH TOA. I.e. tanx= 7/1, therefore hypotenuse is 7^2+1^2 which is root 50. Therefore exact value of cosx is 1/root 50 but the angle lies in the 3rd quadrant since tanx>0 and sinx<0. Hence cosx is -ve 1/root 50
Can you just explain the part how you know it lies in the 3rd quadrant?

leehuan

HSC
Tan is positive (note that 7 is a positive number) and sine is negative

This ONLY occurs in the third quadrant according to:
A- All positive
S- Sine positive
T - Tangent positive
C - Cosine positive

Then, because you want cosine in the third quadrant, it must be negative.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Tan is positive (note that 7 is a positive number) and sine is negative

This ONLY occurs in the third quadrant according to:
A- All positive
S- Sine positive
T - Tangent positive
C - Cosine positive

Then, because you want cosine in the third quadrant, it must be negative.

But I haven't seen not many if any HSC questions on these, is that normal?

leehuan

HSC
Ah I get it now, yeah I find it much easier too using the ASTC rule, I think startales should have said "since tanx >0, and cosx < 0" instead of "since tanx > 0 and sinx<0", but I get it now :)

But I haven't seen not many if any HSC questions on these, is that normal?
They're more common in prelim. And multiple choice.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think startales should have said "since tanx >0, and cosx < 0" instead of "since tanx > 0 and sinx<0"
sin x is also negative though, in fact, this is the fact directly given to us in the question, which is why startales said it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)