• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Finished internal assesment! (1 Viewer)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I've finished internal assesment for extension 2 english and gotten all my marks back. I'm ranked 1/8. Yeaterday was a very happy day.

Who else has finished all their internal assesment and/or got all their marks back?

d_a_n_z

HSC
50/50 is brillant! Wow!! I finsihed internal assesment...dunno makrs for report, but im just happy its over!! (like trials will be....someday soon. Ahhh trials:(

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
We got our report and 2nd via marks back today. I got 49/50 and my rank was 1/13 :)

Congratulations to everyone else who came first!

Last edited:

gorgo31

HSC
I ended up 1/12 with an internal mark of 47. That's indicative of how tough the marking has been on our internal assessment - I've come first in each task.

Our teacher is some archaic old bat who thinks harsh marking will help our scaling. Somehow, I'm not sure :(

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
47 seems reasonably generous. I would have about 48.4 or so. Doesn't matter anyway for us 'number-1ers' because the top exam mark (from our respective cohorts) will become out internal assesment mark. Gotta love that!

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I don't care what i get for internal as long as it's not catastrophic (i got a letter from the school saying congrats on ur dedication to ee2 so i must be doing sumfin right). Must get into showcase!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Showcase features what is thought to be the creme de la creme of the works that achieved a perfect external mark but there is a hell of alot of politics involved in it (its odd that education is so political, maybe they fight so hard because the stakes are so low) so that mostly works that show aspects of postmodernism are portrayed. This is not to say people who get in don't deserve it, but the postmodernism definitely helped get them noticed.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i might have only seen one showcase collection, though i remember a considerable time ago one of the 2004 ee2 students believed that the works in the showcase contained some works with very very good or original concepts, and some that demonstrated very good composition skills, i'm not sure though, i think Kami is right in saying that post-modernism might be something that gives showcase works some ascendency over others. i could be completely wrong though

gorgo31

HSC
I've read all of the Showcases, and from memory, only one or two short stories from the last four years has actually not used post-modern techniques. Some use it more so than others, some use it more creatively than others, but ultimately, you've gotta do something visual in your short story if you're aiming for Showcase. This also applies to poetry, but I'm yet to see a post-modern script / screenplay or critical response (can you imagine?) in the Showcase.

I'm generally not into the whole post-modern thing, and I can say I honestly feel that a lot of the works that get into Showcase do not deserve to be there. Especially Showcase 2004 - if you want to learn how to bullshit a reflection statement, that's a good starting point, with arrogant lamers stating they "exceeded their expectations" of themselves and that their audiences should be "highly sophisticated and intelligent... intended for publication by a small, boutique publishing house like Duffy & Snellgrove". The story attached to that reflection statement was awful too, which makes me think that many good writers who choose not to use post-modern techniques will not get a 50 for that reason alone.

/rant

Sorry. But yeah, basically, if you're aiming for Showcase you've gotta do something visual and highly publishable.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i'm sorry if i might be sounding a little bit cynical, but maybe there is a preference to postmodern works that are 'highly publishable' like what Gorgo said so that those that compile the showcase can 'showcase' the seemingly sophisticated, contemporary use of language in the ee2 course, and the students ability to submit works which can be sort of passed off as very profound because they use post-modern techniques.

it could be the markers way of marching to the beat of their own drum and kind of showing off postmodern works which are sort of esoteric and intellectual.

i'm sorry, that was a little bit cynical and unkind

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
black_man said:
i'm sorry if i might be sounding a little bit cynical, but maybe there is a preference to postmodern works that are 'highly publishable' like what Gorgo said so that those that compile the showcase can 'showcase' the seemingly sophisticated, contemporary use of language in the ee2 course, and the students ability to submit works which can be sort of passed off as very profound because they use post-modern techniques.

it could be the markers way of marching to the beat of their own drum and kind of showing off postmodern works which are sort of esoteric and intellectual.

i'm sorry, that was a little bit cynical and unkind
Well if that's what they're looking for, I hope I fall into that category/genre! Personally I haven't read the showcase's in their entirity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)