• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First Speeding Ticket (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
54km/h on Carlingford Road at 2:46pm... In my opinion, at that hour, the kiddies shouldn’t be out on the street anyway. And the ones old enough to jig, if they are smart enough to dodge teachers- they should be able to dodge cars too.

And yeh I lost points.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
seremify007 said:
54km/h on Carlingford Road at 2:46pm... In my opinion, at that hour, the kiddies shouldn’t be out on the street anyway. And the ones old enough to jig, if they are smart enough to dodge teachers- they should be able to dodge cars too.

And yeh I lost points.
Ah shit.
Remember some schools finish early with sport and seniors have free periods so eh.

points? 1...2...3?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't see it on the notice but from memory it's 2 because it was 15km/h or under over the speed limit. And red P's :(

Thank god it wasn't double demerits!

EDIT: Btw the fine is $75- doesn't seem like much, but it's the difference between a subwoofer, and a better subwoofer ><

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It's stupid to make everyone slow down instead of teach the kids not to walk into the street when a car is coming. This is a basic life skill and they need to learn it eventually.

And those kids who walk into the street anyway are stupid and it is just natural selection in action.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree. In some areas where people need to cross the road, then maybe putting a speed limit will slow traffic enough so they can run across... but really, on a main road, with no pedestrians in sight, why oh why must we slow down for nobody.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
seremify007 said:
I didn't see it on the notice but from memory it's 2 because it was 15km/h or under over the speed limit. And red P's :(

Thank god it wasn't double demerits!

EDIT: Btw the fine is $75- doesn't seem like much, but it's the difference between a subwoofer, and a better subwoofer ><
You might want to check that. All speeding offenses between 3 and 30 over the limit now attract 3 demerit points. It changed sometime last year. The fines were reduced all around because of the criticism that speeding fines were just revenue raising but the points went up aswell.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Now the only incentive to go 5 over the speed limit instead of 30 is a $50 difference in the fine.

^___^
HSC
on epping road where epping boys high is, they have these flashing lights that are on when it is school zone, so people know when to slow down or not..so much better

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i failed my red pz test first time because i went 50 in a school zone. :(:( i HATE them!!!

theres a really useless one on Narellan Road. no one ever obeys it. i dont even know where the damn school is! it goes from being an 80 zone, to a 40, then 80 again. absolutely ridiculous.

CieL

HSC
omg... Jeff, that means you only have 1 point left... i'm sure of it

And was this the camera that's near a little metal bridge? So many people get caught there..

Tough luck.. next time, learn to read the signs.. there are so many signs in that area saying SCHOOL ZONE 40

Pace_T

HSC
damn... that sux
come to think of it i cant remember ever slowing down coz of school zones and i normally go 60 in 50 zones too :/

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
It's stupid to make everyone slow down instead of teach the kids not to walk into the street when a car is coming. This is a basic life skill and they need to learn it eventually.

And those kids who walk into the street anyway are stupid and it is just natural selection in action.
i guess they figured that people who can drive have sufficient vision skills to see a kid about to run across a road >.>

Pace T, join the fast lane :), but it is no longer the right lane, cos cops can catch you on their external radar if they are going the other way.

and seremify, it aint that bad if you consider that you still have your license, however i would need to work between 4 to 7 days to pay that off. i know what you are feeling cos today some mechanic turned me around and gave me some backwards motion when he charged my $50 for an oil change... that's wasted money, especially since i was going to get a CD player/amp for my car tomorrow.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
... said:
on epping road where epping boys high is, they have these flashing lights that are on when it is school zone, so people know when to slow down or not..so much better
There's actually a damn variable speed camera on the hill at Carlingford Road near Epping, where you HAVE to go 40km/h during school hours or you'll get snapped

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:
There's actually a damn variable speed camera on the hill at Carlingford Road near Epping, where you HAVE to go 40km/h during school hours or you'll get snapped
That is where I got snapped damnit >< Grr....

At least I wasn't doing 80 or something... that'd just **** me entirely.

Jiga

Unlucky. I think there is a need for 40 zones in residential areas, especially when all the mummies pack their cars up along the kerb reducing visibility for both kids and drivers. But on main roads its stupid, like on Woodville road, kids should know not to jump onto a 3 lane 70km/h road!!!

And honestly who hasnt sped in a school zone? Not on purpose, but because you just didnt realise, I would hazard a guess that like 90% of drivers at some point have done this... I remember an article about some high up court guy doing it as well! Its a big revenue raiser, thats why the government doesnt want to bring in those flashy light thingies on top of the signs... they tested em and are reluctant to give the results. Its obvious that if people see those big lights they will slow down, cos 99.9% of people dont purposely speed through 40 zones, but the government doesnt really give a rats arse about saving lives... its about revenue raising, just like the double demerit weekend. If they were serious about stopping crashes, they would just half everyones points, then everyone would be forced to drive like they do on those long weekends every day for fear of losing their license!

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*agrees*

The flashing lights are very effective at notifying people of the school zones... a lot of the time you don't even notice there's a school unless you drive there regularly or attended/know someone who attended that school. They usually only have a very small amount of land at roadside for people to actually see- so it's not always obvious. I know some schools have exceptions (eg. those with huge bus bays); but in those cases, it's really obvious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)