• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

first year SOFT (1 Viewer)

dprs

HSC
hi, has anyone here done this course (SOFT 1001/1902)?? Or the advanced version (1901/1902)???

Do they teach you how to use Java, or should you know a bit before hand?? I've heard from someone whos done (at the normal level) it before that the lecturer's just skim over it and you basically have to learn it yourself. Is that what you've found??

Also, what about the advanced version, do you REALLY have to know how to use Java? I did Software Design and Development as a HSC subject in year 10 - i ended up getting 90 - they taught some basic C++ stuff which I can't really remember right now (I've heard java is like C++), but for my major work I used QBASIC :p

I'm currently enrolled in 1001, just wondering if it would be possible (read: not insanely difficult) for someone with no Java experience to do well in SOFT 1901/2??

Thanks for any info

Last edited:

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
I don't recommend it, going into advance has an advantage that, you look better and you work with the 1337 ones, if you're not good at it, you'll only pull everyone behind and your tutor would advise you to drop it. If you're a quick learner then maybe, but really learning the OOP paradigm, when all you've done was mainly QBASIC for your Major, wouldn't help you, stick with 1001, but if your degree lets you move to Adv then move to it, and see how it goes, the first assignment is the same for 1001 and 1901, just so the good ones from 1001 can move to 1901 and not be behind.

This applies to every subject, all lecturers skim and some just read off a powerpoint, you're in uni, you self learn, and you have to be self disciplined to ask questions. C++ and Java's Syntax is similar, but language wise it's different, C++ is Unmanaged code (however if you program in Microsoft .NET platform, you can program in C++ Managed code), Java itself is Managed code, this might be new to you, managed code is when your code is dependant on a Virtual Machine/Framework, the reason being for it to be called Managed, is because memory,security and other painful tasks that the developer in general has to take care of is 'Managed'.

Hope this helps you out.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
I did not have any programming experience before coming into SOFT1901. And I did struggle a little bit at the start, but I seemed to be coping fine towards the end of it. Java is easier to learn than C++, just try to grasp the OO concept and apply it in your coding practice. The IT department actually admitted that no one knows how to teach OO programming properly. So you must rely on yourself most of the time, and hope that your tutor is not a bludger (some of them are :)). You'll have the chance to change between normal and advanced after 4 weeks. If you really believe in yourself, stick with advanced. From week 5 onwards you'll be working on a group project. I think you'll learn more if you get mixed with other advanced ppl.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
This was a concern of mine also, the only languages I know are VB6 and C++. I asked the advisor at enrolment and she said most people dont have any experience, and for those that do, most of their experience that they got is covered in the first few weeks. There are only a small number that have any depth in experience.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
acmilan said:
This was a concern of mine also, the only languages I know are VB6 and C++. I asked the advisor at enrolment and she said most people dont have any experience, and for those that do, most of their experience that they got is covered in the first few weeks. There are only a small number that have any depth in experience.
That small number all happened to get in my tute when i did 1901 and i happened to have a tutor who couldn't explain concepts for novices :eek: but fortunately there was a really nice guy that managed to help me and a couple of others through it!

I got a right on the dot distinction for it 75, which allowed me to do advanced for second sem but i chose the normal version SOFT 1002 (probz. 'cause i felt more comfortable in the normal environment and was lazy) but it didn't affect my marks for the others softs got 86,81,85 for 1002 and the now non-existant 2nd yr softs which have been combined but that was just me

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Just a question, what books do you need for SOFT 1901? I heard there are two things you need but i dont know the names of them and where to get them?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Just a question, what books do you need for SOFT 1901? I heard there are two things you need but i dont know the names of them and where to get them?
there's no set textbook specified for SOFT 1901 but BigJava is one of the books sold at the co-op bookshop which relates to SOFT 1901.

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
Yeah Big Java is an entry level book for ppl who have absolutely no experience in programming. So you probably wouldn't keep it for too long. The lecturer will probably recommend some other more in depth books that are useful for those with some experience. But then again, none is compulsory. The one thing you need is a course reader, which contains all the tutorial questions and assessment tasks. You can buy that from the uni copy centre near coop (if I remember correctly). These notes won't be out until the 1st or 2nd week.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Super Pig said:
Yeah Big Java is an entry level book for ppl who have absolutely no experience in programming. So you probably wouldn't keep it for too long. The lecturer will probably recommend some other more in depth books that are useful for those with some experience. But then again, none is compulsory. The one thing you need is a course reader, which contains all the tutorial questions and assessment tasks. You can buy that from the uni copy centre near coop (if I remember correctly). These notes won't be out until the 1st or 2nd week.
By no programming experience do you mean in Java or programming in general?

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
I meant no programming experience in general. But it also depends on personal perference. Some ppl may already know quite a lot of programming concepts, yet they prefer to buy the book and start from the very basics. And there are others without too much experience, who wanna get down to the core stuff quickly and go straight onto the more advanced books. The 1st way isn't necessarily better than the 2nd, or vice versa. It all depends on the way you learn. Advanced books tend to give a more complete picture than the introductory ones, but they can be harder to understand. There is always a tradeoff. So you'll need to decide which style is more suitable for your own learning.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
I found the old textbook ,which was written by the school (you can download it from the course website and i think there are copies of it in the library) more useful than Big Java. The notes that you buy from the copy centre are based on this or at least when i did it was.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
The exact address will be given to you in your lecture there should be a link put up but if not i can send it to ya just let me know

zeropoint

HSC
Mejc said:
The exact address will be given to you in your lecture there should be a link put up but if not i can send it to ya just let me know
Oh! Yes please! :) Thanks very much.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Is this the book also used in SOFT 1901?

I read up to chapter 3, so far nothing new. Dont know how long my luck will run though :)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
LoneShadow said:
thnx. I swear I could kiss u rite now. I was in doubt whether to buy the book or not. cuz I'm doing SOFT only in the 1st sem. I'm discontinuing it in sem 2.
LOL
acmilan said:
Is this the book also used in SOFT 1901?
Yeah that and big Java though the advance kids that i had didn't use Big Java well that was when i did the course i doubt they have changed it much if at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)