Fitzpatrick or Cambridge? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm new to this Forum, but I have been reading posts for a few weeks now. I'm currently in year 11, ongoing to yr 12 next term. I'm doing Extension 1 Maths and I wanted to by a textbook to help me with my studies.

I am only getting marks of about 60% in 3u, and my highest so far for 2u is 83% - that was for prelim assessment tasks.

We use Corroneous at school, and just wondering which book should I buy; Fitzpatrick or Cambridge? I heard they're both really good, but which do you think will help me achieve marks of 90+?

Oh, btw, where do you think I can buy them from? I have no clue! I looked around at Angus and Roberston and can't seem to find none of them!

Thanks in advance!

P

prsce24

well i prefer cambridge, but if you want to use it, you gonna have to buy both yr 11 and yr 12 3u books.(which will cost about 100).

fitzpatrick is alrite, (its only one book!) but still its 50 bux.

since you're going into yr12, i say you get fitzpatrick, becuz the 2 cambridge books will be too much

Rorix

HSC
no real differene if you practice with exam questions

rsingh

HSC
Is thee a 3u Fitzpatrick book? 'cos i looked it up on dymocks.com.au and couldn't find it - only the 2u and 4u one.

??

grimreaper

HSC
rsingh said:
Is thee a 3u Fitzpatrick book? 'cos i looked it up on dymocks.com.au and couldn't find it - only the 2u and 4u one.

??
yes there is - and its a really good book in my opinion

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rorix said:
My sentiments exactly, althought the extension questions in cambridge are good.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
prsce24 said:
well i prefer cambridge, but if you want to use it, you gonna have to buy both yr 11 and yr 12 3u books.(which will cost about 100).

fitzpatrick is alrite, (its only one book!) but still its 50 bux.

since you're going into yr12, i say you get fitzpatrick, becuz the 2 cambridge books will be too much
$70 I think.
~ $35 for each of the Year 11 and Year 12 3U textbooks.

It's kind of poor how they put Year 12 topics in the Year 11 book and vice versa - I guess it forces you to buy both. :confused:

P

prsce24

~ ReNcH ~ said:
$70 I think.
~ $35 for each of the Year 11 and Year 12 3U textbooks.

It's kind of poor how they put Year 12 topics in the Year 11 book and vice versa - I guess it forces you to buy both. :confused:

you serious man??
i bought my yr11 3u book for 48 this year, how can it go down so much...
or did i get ripped off?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Nup
They're commonly around for 45 each... won't find it for 35 in any retail outlet.

rsingh: I'll suggest something none of the others have in this thread, and that is that Coroneos is completely adequate for your textbook needs (provided you have the supplement).

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah, we used fitzpatrick 4 2 and 3 unit at our skool, its pretty gud, there is a gud range of questions but they are graded weird (some question 1s are impossible vs final questions are easy) 4 4unit we use cambridge and hav the fitzy book but it aint as gud, but id say 4 2+3 unit, use the fitzpatrick
gud luck
-dawso

mojako

HSC
Rorix said:
hmm I think I support you...
probably.. I havent done many exam questions but I think it's true.
If you wanna save don't buy extra books at all.. just buy the compulsory one.

nick1048 said:
FITZPATRICK!!! That book is really challenging and if u have good english skills really comprehensive. If you don't have good English skills or hate long words, go cambridge.
Is it true?
Having Cambridge myself I can tell it has such a long explanation at the start of each section....

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
prsce24 said:
you serious man??
i bought my yr11 3u book for 48 this year, how can it go down so much...
or did i get ripped off?
Well I got mine for $38 I think, but I think that was after some GST rebate which no longer exists.
So I guess $45 for each is right then.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I bought my 2u Fitzpatrick book for $50, but it's much thicker than the 3 and 4 unit books.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
adfh

lol, tell you what?

wait a few months till the hsc is over, then buy from students on this board. ^_~

as for this thread, argh!!!!!
I swear, the moderators should just sticky that REALLY REALLY REALLY big thread that got started a while ago. The one that discussed every single book, and 50 people gave 50 opinions, which leaves the reader more confused that before.

or maybe not.
get cambridge or fitzpatrick.
cambridge has a LOT of questions. you can't do all the cambridge questions, it's damn near impossible. fitzpatrick is good too, but not as thorough in some areas. the cambridge is berloody comprehensive. :-\

and every chapter has a few questions that you can't do. like, guaranteed. :-\

EDIT:
*points to the other BIG thread about textbooks in the extension maths forum*
go check that out. and post there.

please

:)

Last edited:

mojako

HSC
>> and every chapter has a few questions that you can't do. like, guaranteed. :-\ <<
Not necessarily...
that's true for you and me,
but not for a small number of people :p
but amongst those gifted people I don't think they bother doing all of them
but they can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)