Fixed Broadband To Wireless Broadband (1 Viewer)

Gloamglozer

HSC
Right now, I have fixed broadband, ie. it isn't wireless and I can only use the Internet using a modem and a router (for another computer).

I was thinking of changing to wireless broadband but unfortunately I do not know the process. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do? Do I need to inform my ISP?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
depends do you want it just for around the house or out and about?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Assuming you want wireless internet at home so you can use a laptop around the house. You would need either to purchase a wireless modem/router and switch to using that for your internet (just so it's all 1 device, we have recently switched to a new modem with wireless to gain faster wireless internet). Or buy a wireless router and use a network cable connect that to your modem and create the wireless network/internet from that. Either way you don't need to inform your ISP. Unless you want wireless as being away from home.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Get yourself a Router from any electronics store. You dont need to inform your ISP.

Recommendation: Wireless G Router (XH9627) - Dick Smith Electronics - Australia.

Cheap Router, easy to use, step-by-step installing of hardware and software, a monkey can install and run this router with no problems.

However if you got a double storey, double brick home and you want the wireless to reach upstairs/downstairs that router is not efficient, in like the range capabilities is horrible.

For first time wireless internet user, that router is perfect!

If your laptop/desktop does not have wireless capabilities, then you might want to purchase one of these: http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/496d6ed5032c35a4273fc0a87e0106a4/Product/View/XH0909

Last edited:

Gloamglozer

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
depends do you want it just for around the house or out and about?
I just want it around the house. I was thinking of buying a wireless modem and just connecting it but my main concern is whether or not it will work because of compatibility issues with the new router. I'm with Optus right now and I've heard some people say that only some modem models will work. Is that true?

I've checked the Optus site, and they only provide 3 modems:

Optus - Personal - Modems

EDIT: I have a double-storey house and I'm planning to put the modem on the lowest storey.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)