Flu Shots? (1 Viewer)

Getting the Flu Shot?

• Total voters

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hello all...

At my school, we've been advised to get a flu shot so we'll avoid suffering from this dreaded affliction during the HSC..

So a couple of questions
Who's going to get one?
Has anyone been advised by their schools to get them?
Has anyone been talked out of the entire ordeal by their GP?

Myself, i've been advised by the GP against the Flu Shot because my immune system is fairly decent - though as an afterthought i'm more likely to get a random bout of chicken pox during the HSC - I've never had that..

Thanks,
Lanelle

NobodyKnows

HSC
I had every intention of getting a flu shot to prevent falling ill during the HSC. I don't get sick very often, but when I do it hits me like a tonne of bricks. I missed all but one of my half-yearlies because my eardrum burst (and oh my, did it hurt), and received the class average as my mark for all my exams, which came nowehere near close to satisfying my standards.... still kicking myself for getting sick and stuffing up. :mad1:

However, I'm now a little apprehensive in regards to the flu shot, because my sister had the jab last week, whilst sick (because she's stupid like that, lol), and has looked and felt absolutely awful ever since. Granted, this was due to her own 'sensible' albeit ridiculous reasoning (who gets an injection while they're sick? I mean, really....), but I'm still not so sure. Plus, I hate needles, and I haven't had even a Tetanus shot since I was 5 - let us all hope I don't step on a rusty nail or slam a car door on my fingers....

My school hasn't advised us to get flu shots to prevent illness, but keep in mind, my school is as much of a hole as they come.... It does sound like a reasonable idea, and if you feel as though it will assist you in being fully prepared and performing to your highest standard during exams, then go for it. From experience, sitting exams when you're sick is not fun - I don't remember a 2 hour Maths exam that I know I sat, and trying to sing in a performance assessment when you can only hear out of one ear is terrible.

If you're still unsure, you could speak to your GP again - they can advise you against a procedure all they want, but if you want the injection they can't exactly refuse you.

Good luck.

dandel26

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Hello all...

Myself, i've been advised by the GP against the Flu Shot because my immune system is fairly decent - though as an afterthought i'm more likely to get a random bout of chicken pox during the HSC - I've never had that..

Lanelle
WHAT!!!! Your GP advised against getting a Flu shot. Are u Crazy? My GP told it me it was absolutely essentially, especially this year. I could think of nothing worse than being sick when having to study my arse off, let alone doing an exam while sick.

No offense but your GP is an idiot.

dandel26

HSC
I had no side effects at all from taking the shot, i asked my GP about it and he said the chance of someone getting sick from a Flu Shot is 1 in 100,000.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
I hope your school detailed the flu shot, it's side effects, the usual recommendations etc when they recommended all students have it as opposed to just telling all students to go out and get it.

Although anyone can get the flu shot (its costs about $20), generally they only recommend you get it if you meet the national requirements for it, or are a special case. For example children with congenital heart problems, severe asthma, chronic disabilities such as diabetes, cystic fibrosis, or having immunosuppressive or long-term aspirin therapy are recommended to be vaccinated each year.

The flu vaccine has some side effects so you don't want to take it whilst in the middle of an important time at school, as that can be detrimental if you experience the side effects such as fever, fatigue, muscle soreness (the most common) and then theres others such as hives etc.

Note: if you are allergic to eggs - don't get the flu vaccine, also you shouldn't get it whilst sick.
Thanks WW - that was really good and interesting.
They suggested to consult one's GP regarding it....because last year about 10 students became really really ill around HSC time.

Like with every vaccination there are side effects - so that is why they're telling us now if that we need one, now is the time to get a consultation.

dandel26 said:
WHAT!!!! Your GP advised against getting a Flu shot. Are u Crazy? My GP told it me it was absolutely essentially, especially this year. I could think of nothing worse than being sick when having to study my arse off, let alone doing an exam while sick.

See WW's comment.
There are some GP's who believe that the medical profession are too far set on cures rather than prevention. I'm inclined through my experience of doctors, my friends experiences with doctors that he's one of the more sensible types. He of course didn't refuse the vax to me, however he said that it definately wasn't essential
Oh well, an opinion is an opinion.

brogan77 said:
I must've got about 3 different shots through my school during yr 12.

- Meningococcal
- Some psycho tri-threat one, protecting against three things all in one.
- And flu

I didn't die. :)
:) Yay for not dying Brogany, good good...
I've had all of those except flu.

dandel26 said:
I had no side effects at all from taking the shot, i asked my GP about it and he said the chance of someone getting sick from a Flu Shot is 1 in 100,000.
Everyone's different honey, i'm glad you had no side effects.

NobodyKnows said:
Plus, I hate needles, and I haven't had even a Tetanus shot since I was 5 - let us all hope I don't step on a rusty nail or slam a car door on my fingers....
Good luck.
Waiiiiit...you've had normal vax's haven't you? Meningococcal and Hep C?
Your sister is a little bit silly as WW said you shouldn't get the Flu Vax whilst sick

NobodyKnows

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Waiiiiit...you've had normal vax's haven't you? Meningococcal and Hep C?
Your sister is a little bit silly as WW said you shouldn't get the Flu Vax whilst sick
Oh sorry for confusion -- yes, I've had all the normal vaccinations, just not a Tetanus booster.... every time my mother signs a medical release form for a school excursion and checks "no" for "Has your son/daughter received a Tetanus injection in the last five years?", she says I have to book an appointment.... I just don't.

Reading this thread is convincing me to get a flu shot....

Tegz

HSC
dandel26 said:

maybe u should do your research before u go accusing highly trained proffessionals about not knoeing their job. i talked to my GP and he said that the flu vaccine only covers something like three strains of the virus and the people most succeptible are children and seniors. even if u were to get the vaccine ur still open to getting other types of the flu virus anyway which u are just as likely to catch.
concidering the high tolerance of our healthy young bodies it is unnecessary to have the vax expesh since overuse of the drug within the community will deplete its effectiveness

no offense but maybe u are the idiot

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
there are good reasons to get it..

-cos HSC trials are traditionally in winter.. but the flu strain last yr peaked around august ..
-there is high prevalence of flu... if there was a shortage.. there is good reason to only take it if u were elderly or a child..
-stress causes the secretion of immune suppressing steroids.. thats why when ure stressed u seem to get sick more.

yes some GP advise against immunisation if u can tolerate the flu.. cos its just another unneccesary shot...
the flu vaccine isnt prone to immunity like antibiotics because they are different effector mechanisms and they are changed yrly..

the flu shot does have mild side effects... and they are common.. so dun take it around ure exam time...1 in 100,000 sounds lik SEVERE side effects..

AMH said:
Adverse effects
Common
fever, malaise, myalgia, headache (these reactions may last 1–2 days)
Rare
allergic reactions (hives, angioedema, asthma, anaphylaxis)
about egg allergies.. if u get like an itch or mild symptoms its ok to have the fluvax.. if u hav anything that could kill u after u eat eggs like anaphylaxis... dun have the fluvax

also to the person above.. there is no such thing as hep C vaccine atm..

luscious-llama: if u think u might get the chickenpox.. cos u have never had it before... then get the chickenpox vaccine?... getting it now.. would be crap cos it scars badly too ... and in adults and the elderly the immune system doesnt cope v. well with it

personally I would take the shot.. and in fact im goin up for mine soon.. cos exams are looming.. and i am high risk due to patient contact hrs.. trust me.. i have a feeling ure GP takes the flu vax too =P

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I guess the best time to take it is as soon as possible this term, to avoid the clash with trials early next term. Our school hasn't mentioned anything about it, and I'm still undecided of whether I'm going to take the shot or not.

P

pLuvia

Don't think our school has mentioned it either. But in the previous years we've had many different shots

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
NobodyKnows said:
Oh sorry for confusion -- yes, I've had all the normal vaccinations, just not a Tetanus booster.... every time my mother signs a medical release form for a school excursion and checks "no" for "Has your son/daughter received a Tetanus injection in the last five years?", she says I have to book an appointment.... I just don't.

Reading this thread is convincing me to get a flu shot....

Ahhh Thanks :) thats okay. I understand.
Hahahahaha, well get it only if you think you need it - ie prone to sickness from stress. I get sick from emotional issues but I am fairly hopeful I won't get that this year. :) Good Luck

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
luscious-llama: if u think u might get the chickenpox.. cos u have never had it before... then get the chickenpox vaccine?... getting it now.. would be crap cos it scars badly too ... and in adults and the elderly the immune system doesnt cope v. well with it

personally I would take the shot.. and in fact im goin up for mine soon.. cos exams are looming.. and i am high risk due to patient contact hrs.. trust me.. i have a feeling ure GP takes the flu vax too =P
Is there a chickenpox vaccine? I had NO idea :S?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes there is a chickenpox vaccine.. usually its given to new borns..

but if u havent had it.. its recommended that u would..

biggie walls

HSC
stuff getting it... people get so tied up in the HSC, by changing your behaviour your more likely to onset other problems like stress etc. As long as you eat healthy, wash your hands, keep away from sick people when you can etc. you should be fine unless you have an immune deficiency... Basic Hygenie peoples!

s2indie

HSC
Not getting it, haven't been getting it for the past two years. I'm fine. No flu - just a little cold.
But for some reason when I got the flu shot one time, I ended up catching the flu.
So I've opted for the no flu shot.

lala2

Banned
HSC
If all you're worried about is annoying your friends and neighbours about sniffling constantly, then you may not need to have a flu vaccine. But if you are one of those people who easily fall sick, or who are always well but when they're sick are really sick, you may want to think about it. As someone mentioned above, it only protects against three strains of flu and you may not even come into contact with those strains and run the risk of having side-effects in a critical period. I personally didn't have one, and I was ok :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Get it lana

Its only $12 (after bulk billing and medicare cover yay!) and it provides a further boost for your immune system (no sh** einstein).

but the best thing is the placebo effect. at least in my view :D you believe it will prevent your flu diseases so voila mind over matter it does! don't underestimate this

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
bobness said:
Get it lana

Its only $12 (after bulk billing and medicare cover yay!) and it provides a further boost for your immune system (no sh** einstein).

but the best thing is the placebo effect. at least in my view :D you believe it will prevent your flu diseases so voila mind over matter it does! don't underestimate this
Thanks Bobbyboy..maybe..
mmm gotta love bulk billing and medicare...:)

nwatts

HSC
I got the flu shot last year. Gave me a headache that lasted for about a week.

Fuck vaccinations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)