• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Footnoting ancient essays (1 Viewer)

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
OK guys I need some quick help on how to use quotes and footnote in an essay.
Do I need to use quotation marks (" ") and then footnote (" "1) or do I just say what I want, as well as use the quote, then footnote after the quote (Caesar was an incredibly cool guy and did heaps of stuff1)

note '1' is a footnote.

Also, when referencing the footnote, how do you use op cit and ibid, and must you put after these (eg page numbers, authors etc)

Rapid help would be gladly appreciated!
Thanks

J

jhakka

My teacher told us not to bother with footnoting. Doing it right takes as long as writing the essay, apparently.

I wouldn't know, though.

HSC
In the HSC, you're not expected to do footnotes, but u'll get brownie points for always saying Herodotus said/ Thucydides said/ Aristotle said etc~
Footnotes aren't hard, just click insert footnotes in Microsoft Word, and yeh you put the sentence in quotation marks, then click "insert- footnotes". Then the footnote will appear at the bottom of the page where you'll have to write a full reference of the source (just like you do a bibliography, except you also include page number.

Everyone did badly in our first ancient assessment at the beginning of the year (some project on tyranny) cos hardly anyone knew footnotes were compulsory. So maybe check with your school. With normal essays, don't bother!

Hope that helps! PM me if u need more help~

-marilia- xoxo

trekkie

HSC
Yeah dont worry about footnoting unless its an actual assessment, all that you need to have in a footnote is the name of the text, who wrote it, year of publication, publisher and a page number, if you put say suetonius as a footnote, but then directly under that its the same text by suetonius instead of writing it again you just put Ibid with a pg number, and if your going thrice ya put opcit with a page number, well thats what we were told anyway,

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ibid for when the refernce used is the exactly the same one as used directly above. You write Ibid pg whatever
Op.cit. for when uve used the same reference be4 but not the one directly above.
you write: AUTHORS NAME (+ which bk if theyve written 2 more than one) op.cit. pg whatever

footnoting is v.helpful i find - especially to help cut down ur word length - much can be put in footnote - eg. quotes, explanations, supplementary/supporting material that is helpful in understanding essay but not specifically most relevant 2 the question etc.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
And there i was thinking Ibid was a very famous person....like Gae Callender! *swoons*

classics_chic

HSC
Not during the HSC or in a timed assessment task, but for handing something in it's still a must. When you borrow someone's idea (either a quote or their idea that you haven't made your own through changing the words and/or combining with other ideas), put in a footnote after the idea. There are two ways of doing footnotes depending on your style, the "Oxford" which is most common in Australia and England, and the "Harvard" which is more American but is acceptable for most people. As long as you're consistent you'll be fine. If you want to know the distinction the Australian Style Guide (Cambridge University Press) does a fine job explaining it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)