For the ChemCoach (1 Viewer)

Budz

HSC
TheChemCoach... you seem like an informed person.
and although i have answered this question to the best of my abitlity i was wondering if you could help

"two ships sink in different cicumstances. The first sank to a depth of 3kmin the icy waters of the atlantic. THe scond sank to 100m in the tropical oceans of the coral sea. Compare rates of corrosion and decay of these two ships.

I havent done the role of anaerobic bacteria in each situation but any help would be appreciated

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
any help as in only from chem coach or from any other members too?! =p

since o2 is necessary for ordinary corrosion...and high temperature always speed up reactions in general...
3k = less oxygen
3k + atlantic = cold
==> minimal corrosion

100m = more o2
tropical = warm
==> very high corrosion

funking_you

G'day,

Thank's Xiao for helping out, you should always have a go at answering questions, eveb those just directed at me, if you do personally direct a question at me, it basically means your guaranteed a response asap.

Xiao did cover some of the general concepts you need to answer that question, its a VERY typical exam question, however seeing as your not going to be assessed on it any time soon, i decided to attach a document that outlines the chemistry you need to learn to understand corrosion of shipwrecks.

I'm short on time over the next few days, however if you do want a detailed explanation to your question, i will post one up asap. In the meantime, read through and study the notes attached.

Its a pdf document, hence you need adobe acrobat reader to get it.
if you dont have it, go to www.chemistrycoach.com.au/solutions.htm
for more information on what it is and how to get it.

Cheers,
George

DOCUMENT IS HERE.....

Budz

HSC
George thanx a lot, will begin reading the information.
Xiao1985 I dont mean to be analytical but you are actually wrong.. The deeper sub corrodes quicker due to two important factors you left out... Anaerobic bacteria, and the acidity and low depths.

Budz

HSC
Wow, Just read info, excellent stuff...
Just on there was a little ruberik(dont know how to spell it)
But it states

To answer this question effectively, students....
Water depth associated with water pressure
Salt and gas solubility
water temp near each wreck
The role of anaerobic bacteria in each situation

Your notes give info on all that, thanx again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)