• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

For those of us taking more than 10 units into the HSC... (1 Viewer)

'mogen

HSC
What units do you expect not to, or would prefer not to count?
Why did you keep them anyway?

I have 12 units (as in my signature) and to be honest, any of them could be what doesn't end up counting. I have a feeling drama will be the one that doesn't, because my marks were not quite as strong as they could have been for a variety of reasons, and it doesn't tend to scale as highly.

That said, I had been hoping/expecting English Advanced not to, but I surprised myself with my marks. I'm not a fan of the Eng Adv course at ALL, and because I have Extensions 1 & 2, I could get away without using it for my UAI.

Most people at my school are doing minimum units, and think I'm crazy for taking 12 into the HSC, but I think one more exam is worth it for the safety net it allows me.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm doing 13 units, and I don't think Chemistry or Biology's going to count.... I kept both of the subjects cos I was doing relatively well in both of them, which I was surprised with, especially for Chemistry. Oh well, there's still that safety net as you said :)

karnage

HSC
Um... adv english has to count towards your UAI regardless of how you go.

'mogen

HSC
karnage said:
Um... adv english has to count towards your UAI regardless of how you go.
No, not in this case. I do four units of english. As they take your "best two" units of english, my Extension 1 & 2 units could (and probably will be) the ones that count.

Lordie

HSC
I'm doing 12 units, I'm 99% sure Mathematics won't count for me...basically because my other 10 units are all in the high 80s and 90's.

danz90

HSC
Im on 13 units... its hard to say what won't count for me... maybe MX1, or even Economics.
Having 13 units wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

-Anfernee-

HSC
there really is no "maybe" about making certain subjects count or not. If you don't want it to count, take a dive in it..

Robin Hood

HSC
Question: For those of you who are taking on 10+ units wouldn't it be easier if you dropped your lowest ranked subject in order to spend more time on the other subjects to try and increase them?
That's how what I am doing, only because I really don't like one of the subjects therefore I wouldn't be as motivated to do as much study in it as my other subjects.
I see the upside in having a safety net but I guess only if you perform equally well in all of your subjects.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
Im on 13 units... its hard to say what won't count for me... maybe MX1, or even Economics.
Having 13 units wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
I concur.

Lordie

HSC
Robin Hood said:
Question: For those of you who are taking on 10+ units wouldn't it be easier if you dropped your lowest ranked subject in order to spend more time on the other subjects to try and increase them?
That's how what I am doing, only because I really don't like one of the subjects therefore I wouldn't be as motivated to do as much study in it as my other subjects.
I see the upside in having a safety net but I guess only if you perform equally well in all of your subjects.
If you do just 10 subjects, you're more vulnerable I think. If you do your HSC, and flunk in one of your exams...that crappy mark will count. However, if you do 12 units let's say - if you stuff one up, it doesn't count.

It's a debated question. Having 12 units can mean more time on another subject, or having 12 units means you're protected against a horrid exam, or something happening in an exam...meaning your lowest won't count. I think personally having 12 is beneficial, as it just means my lowest won't count. If it did, my UAI would be dragged down a fair way I think.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Doing 12 units.
Biology won't count.
Not studying for it.

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
Definitely a unit (or 2) of Ancient History, purely because of its BS scaling.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
its not that big a deal. I came out smiling and doing engineering at unsw

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
99% sure chemistry wont count. 1% bio.

Im pretty sure the rest are gonna count

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
I'm doing 12 units and I don't think it's that bad. After doing 13 (well 14 if you count an extension course I did in the holidays) in prelim, 12 seemed pretty easy.

Originally I kept 12, because my half yearly advanced mark was poor (I do Extension 2) so I thought advanced English wouldn't count. But now I'm 5th. I also kept 12 because VA scales badly, but I really enjoy the subject so I did it for 'fun'. Now I'm thinking chemistry won't count. I did well in year 11, but this year has been horrible for chemistry! (I suppose I can't complain, everything has gone up)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)