• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Forensic Science - Employment issues (2 Viewers)

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any information on job availability (good, bad?) for forensic science in New South Wales, preferably in Sydney. I was made aware of this issue when one of my friends told me that her older friend was having trouble finding work for forensic science, and ended up even searching overseas! Since I am very much looking forward to study forensics at university, I am a trifle worried at the moment if this could have any drastic effects on my own employment in the not too distant future. If you have any information, it would be welcomed greatly.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
i too am i great lover of forensics.
i have heard of this issue aswell :(
im thinking that there would be other options such as pathology work and stuff like with regular openings...but yeah i think the amount of forensic specific jobs are low...
sorry though i have no facts... just word of mouth like yourself...

im going to study it regardless :p i <3 it!
i hope you get in :)

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Combining this with another relevant degree will also give you more job opportunities. Doing a law or criminology degree with it might lead to careers in forensic analysis in those areas. A fast growing area is also forensic analysis in accounting, so a business degree would be useful as well, though it may not be as science based as you like.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Why is it really hard to find a job in forensics?
Don't they need forensics to solve cases?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
jasee said:
Combining this with another relevant degree will also give you more job opportunities. Doing a law or criminology degree with it might lead to careers in forensic analysis in those areas. A fast growing area is also forensic analysis in accounting, so a business degree would be useful as well, though it may not be as science based as you like.
hahah howd u turn a science question into an opening for the business faculty :p

back off!!!!!! :)

like yoonek went on0 you can go into different fields where you can use your skills as in pathology or research. just depends in the end

like you i heard sometimes graduate level employment in this field can be difficult/bad at times. but with all things in the science faculty if it is somehting you are devoted to you must have a wealth of knowledge (from uni) and experience (in the work place)

nothing is easy in this field fellas- you have to work for it over yrs

Ennaoj

HSC
I just came back from the forensic science seminar at UTS on last saturday, and it was fantastic. They addressed employment issues, and even had a section on the varying job oppotunities, in a section called "Where are they now" and the employment isn't as limited as I thought. It opened my mind greatly to many other paths that i had no idea about. Perhaps contacting UTS for a copy of the brochures or the website might have some more information on it.

HSC
i'm in forensic chem...
there's plenty of job opportunities around, i don't think it is something you should be losing sleep over just yet... im not sure about environmental or biomed forensics but the chem degree is widely applicable (particularly if you don't just wanna become a soco)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)