Forensic Science (1 Viewer)

KfWang

I was wondering if there is such a course as forensic science (im considering chasing a career as a forensic scientist)
and if doing psychology will help if i want to be a foresic scientist

and one last thing, if chemistry is needed to study forensic science (if it exists)

mack

Banned
HSC
UTS offers a forensic science course. Cutoff for that is around 86 i do believe. Newcastle also offers one, but it is a combined Forensic science/Law. Pretty nifty little course as it prepares you for crime scene investigation, evidence anaylsis etc. and the courtroom duties you are required to fulfil. The cutoff is 92.3 or thereabouts.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i was also interested in this career path, specially after watching CSI. However, note that you don't necessarily have to get a BForensics cut out for you to find employment in that field...UTS has strong industry links with path and the police services so you might consider them. If that's not an option you could try for BSc or BSc (Adv.) if you wanna get into the analytical work, eg. using RFLP machines in the path lab. If you're more interested in the Grissom type of forensics (i.e. co-ordinating a case) then you should ideally lean towards bachelor of pschology or bachelor of social science in criminology (avail at UNSW). I dont think you can do psych and just jump onto the forensics bandwagon. You have to do a post graduate course in criminal psychology if im not mistaken. Well, I wish u the best if luck.

psych_girl

HSC
mack said:
UTS offers a forensic science course. Cutoff for that is around 86 i do believe. Newcastle also offers one, but it is a combined Forensic science/Law. Pretty nifty little course as it prepares you for crime scene investigation, evidence anaylsis etc. and the courtroom duties you are required to fulfil. The cutoff is 92.3 or thereabouts.
ANU also offers Science (any major)/science( forensic science)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
KfWang said:
and one last thing, if chemistry is needed to study forensic science (if it exists)
I'm not at UNSW, but if you're heading for the laboratory side of forensic science, Chemistry is essential. Everything is spectroscopy, NMR and the like, so you'd probably be looking at a few years of Chemistry-related subjects.

However, there are also jobs like Forensic Lawyer and Forensic Psychologist, which probably wouldn't rely on as much Chemistry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There are not many jobs for forensic scientists as the field is narrow. make sure you do well above others to ensure employment opportunity

inasero

Reborn
HSC
forensic psychology is a specialty of psychology, just as civil engineering is a specialty of engineering.

psych_girl

HSC
but for the forensic science, u cant find suitable career.UWS also offers it.....Seems like Forensic science focus on DNA figerprinting sorts of things.....But u also can study genetics or DNA(M bio) in other field such as B science(genetics and moleular biology) or Medical science. I believe Medical science is the best!

tennille

HSC
You're better off choosing something that has more career opportunities. Medical Science and Advance Science states that there are career opportunities in forensic science.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah from what my impression tells me, alot of high school students necessarily equate their undergraduate degree to certain occupations. While this may be true for degrees such as BTeach or MBBS, you'll find that in degrees which are as flexible as, say, science, the career opportunities are not so much set in crystal. So what I'm trying to say is that if you wanna become a forensic scientist, having a BForensicScience to your name is not going to help you any more than a science graduate majoring in forensics. In fact, it might be better to have a BScience and keep your options open so that you're not completely screwed over if you change your mind halfway into the course or find another branch of science you never knew existed before.

X

xo NoFear xo

i rekon itz sucha shame that there arent many employment oppourtunities in the forensics field... therez scene of crime officer (soco)... thru the police force i think... did any1 see that forensic investig8ion show that used 2 b on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)