Forgetting something? (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
This applies equally well to beginners, continuers and extension types, but the best example I can think of is in the extension speaking.

This year many of us were unable to read the kanji in question one without furigana. How many of us (including myself) wished we could bring a dictionary, eh?

I had the idea that if we keep forgetting a kanji, structure or obscure but necessary word we could post it in this thread as a sort of reminder for everyone. If this idea actually works we'll need our dictionaries far less than we may do now, as we'll (hopefully) have a much better grasp of the expected vernacular.

Please write all submissions in both Japanese encoding and romaji, as VBulletin oftens screws things up (and you can't really render kanji in the roman set, can you? :p)

And before I forget...

The kanji in question 1 of Ext speaking was @kan(jiru) - to feel

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by karnevil
Shift JIS works on this forum.....
Not properly. VB often screws up random characters (both kanji and kana) rendering passages unreadable.

mle

I dont know about other people, but my dodgey computer cant read any of the Jpa script in these forums, even if it does suposedly work.

in term of vocab, tho, my sensei reakons sugu (imeditely) is in the exam almost every year, and they often use shika... nai (only) in the listening to try and confuse people.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Which operating system are you using? If XP have you installed Japanese functionality? If not XP, have you downloaded the IME from Microsoft? Go to www.japanese.about.com (fonts section) for more information.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I think they always do the 20-year-old/8-year-old combo (hatatsu, and, umm... Damnit. I can't remember. 12 months of non-Japanese study does that to you. :D).

mle

Yeah, and they will have a date probly in listening (days of the month always screw me up, but im learning them now)
1-tsuitachi
2-futsuka
3-mikka
4-yokka
5-itsuka
6-muika
7-nanoka
8yooka
9kokonoka
10tooka

and they will probly have a phone number too.

Last edited:

kokeshi

HSC
N/A
days of the month

I always get fourth and eighth mixed up. :(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Thanks M. :) I was going to find these...but I have no house internet :( I'm sure many people (eg me) who have forgotten these are silently praising your gift.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm thinking of unsticking this thread until later on (sometime next year) when the new batch toddle along and start claiming this forum for their own HSC. Any objections?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
no probs, doesn't bother me. as moderator can't you just do something and then give an explanation later? :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I can, but I don't want my own members to get angry at me. I also like to stay open to suggestions, especially since I can easily see myself overlooking something important.

Gemstone

Hmm this thread sounds good I use my dictionary so much and i'm trying to not use it unless I really have to. I have a big problem remembering all the counting systems. I'm so bad at it. Anyway yeah thanks for posting that days chart it helps. So anyway us '04 kids should start posting the things we always forget now.

Oh yeah btw I have XP but how do you get japanese on it?

Gemma

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hi, welcome to Japanese!

I'm sure I wrote up instructions for that a while back, though I suppose the thread floated away. Would you like to read Japanese (in IE etc) or write Japanese (MS Word, Excel, IE)? Tell me and I'll find the proper instructions, probably put them in a sticky.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think i went to the control panel and looked in the help menu and theres a folder called languages and other stuff :D sorry i can't be more specific

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, I'll give instructions for both.

To Read Japanese in Internet Explorer:
1) Right-click on an area of the page that is clear (or text, just not an image).
2) Select "Encoding"
3) Select "More >"
4) Select "Japanese (Auto-Select)"

Now, IE will select the correct encoding format to read (the standard is "Shift-JIS" though not all programs use it).

To Write Japanese (in most Microsoft programs)
1) Go to Start
2) Select "Control Panel"
3) Select "Regional and Language Options"
4) Select the second tab at the top, "Languages"
5) Mark the checkbox "Install files for East-Asian languages"
6) Click the "Details" button
7) Click the "Add" button
8) In the drop-down menu, select "Japanese"
9) Click the "Ok" button on all windows.

You should now see the language bar somewhere on your screen. If you want to type in Japanese (eg in Word) click the blue "EN" button, then select "JP Japanese". If you can only see the blue button, right-click it and select "Adjust the Language Band position". This will expand the Language Bar, allowing you to select various options. Click the button with the "A" on it and you will be able to choose your script. The rest you'll figure out quickly enough. :)

Gemstone

Oh dahm it. I've got a school computer and they won't give us the XP CD so I can't download it. Is there any other way to get it.

Gemma

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Not properly. VB often screws up random characters (both kanji and kana) rendering passages unreadable.
I don't think there would be any way to fix this either. Will it be better once BoS upgrades from VB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)