• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Format for writing english essays (1 Viewer)

4lulai

HSC
My english assessment just got released and it just got me thinking. Im always 1-3 marks off from full marks and i have a feeling one reason could be because of the structure i write in. Our school heavily pushes the PEEL (point, explain ,example, link) paragraph structure for writing essays and i just feel like thats not sufficient anymore for a senior level of writing. Are there any better structures of writing i should use to really explain my points well and get top marks?

Currently most students at my school (including myself) write our essays as:

Introduction (thesis, introducing the text, main idea)
PEEL 1
PEEL 2
PEEL 3
Conclusion (restating the thesis, linking all the main points back together to the main idea)

How can i make my writing more compelling, thorough and complex?

pablo34

HSC
N/A
My english assessment just got released and it just got me thinking. Im always 1-3 marks off from full marks and i have a feeling one reason could be because of the structure i write in. Our school heavily pushes the PEEL (point, explain ,example, link) paragraph structure for writing essays and i just feel like thats not sufficient anymore for a senior level of writing. Are there any better structures of writing i should use to really explain my points well and get top marks?

Currently most students at my school (including myself) write our essays as:

Introduction (thesis, introducing the text, main idea)
PEEL 1
PEEL 2
PEEL 3
Conclusion (restating the thesis, linking all the main points back together to the main idea)

How can i make my writing more compelling, thorough and complex?
It's less about structure if you are 1-3 marks away from full marks, and more about wording and cohesion. Add some buzz words to make sure you sound smart and when integrating quotes you want it to be cohesive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)