• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Formation of Subjuctive Tense (1 Viewer)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Perfect tense

Here you go:

For all regular verbs (-ER, -IR, and -RE), take the 3rd person plural form (ils) of the present tense of the verb, drop the -ent ending to find the stem, and add the subjunctive endings as follows:

parler choisir rendre
Ils... parlent choisissent rendent

stem parl choisiss rend

Subjunctive endings for perfect tense:
... que je -e parle choisisse rende
... que tu -es parles choisisses rendes
... qu' il/elle/on -e parle choisisse rende
... que nous -ions parlions choisissions rendions
... que vous -iez parliez choisissiez rendiez
... qu' ils/elles -ent parlent choisissent rendent

Note that -IR verbs like sortir and partir and -RE verbs like mettre which are irregular in the present tense are regular in the subjunctive

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Imparfait-er verbs

the third person singular form of the passé simple as the stem + imperfect subjunctive endings. (passé simple is an outdated tense often applied in works of writing. To save confusion just follow these examples)

E.g. PARLER
3rd person Imperfect Imperfect Subjunctive
singular Subjunctive
passé simple Endings

... que je parla -sse parlasse
... que tu parla -sses parlasses
... qu'il, elle, on parla -^t parlât
... que nous parla -ssions parlassions
... que vous parla -ssiez parlassiez
... qu'ils, elles parla -ssent parlassent

All -ER verbs (including the normally irregular verb aller) are conjugated according to this pattern, except for an irregularity in verbs that end in -ger and -cer:

MANGER LANCER
... que je mangeasse lançasse
... que tu mangeasses lançasses
... qu'il, elle mangeât lançât
... que nous mangeassions lançassions
... que vous mangeassiez lançassiez
... qu'ils, elles mangeassent lançassent

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Imparfait-RE, IR verbs

Ok, the formatting totally did not turn out as I had anticipated. Therefore you can follow the attachment link to the final part of these posts.

Il faut que tu prennes conscience que <<le futur>> n'existe pas en français. Si tu refléches, tu peux voir que le subjonctif décrire un sens, ou "a mood", qui on ne peut pas prevoir.

There are only really three forms of the subjunctive and these include the two which I have included and also the plu-perfect subjunctive, which honestly is an unneccessary burden for you to learn for HSC French.

Hope this helps and good luck with your goal, as long as err... Lionel Hutz is not your idol.

chepas

HSC
melsc said:
Does anyone know all the formations of the Subjunctive tense... all i need is perfect, present and future
In answer to the question in a personal sense - No! Haha. Oh dear - the fun that is subjunctive.

For French Continuers in the HSC I think we only ever go as far as the Present Subjunctive, leaving the rest mentioned^ purely optional. Even though the present Subjunctive goes into bigger territory, generally it impresses well in exams (according to my teacher.). Well said shazzam in "[about other forms of the subj.] which honestly is an unneccessary burden for you to learn for HSC French"...

If you want tables and tables and lists upon lists of conjugations, I highly recommend http://tv5.mediadico.com/mediadico-tv5/asp/dicoweb.asp, type in a verb, select conjugation mode, and you have more conjugations than you can poke a participle at. (Though in retentive grammatically correct country we'd go 'to have more conjugations at which you can poke a stick...', therefore saving us from the mortal sin of prepositions at the end of sentences :D).

The present is the most common used at Continuers level - as described above. Though that's really it, until one, I assume, gets into the heavy literature at uni. The tense described in #2 is actually the Perfect, as the Perfect is the other name for the passé composé, of course the past formed with avoir + past participle. The Perfect Subjunctive would be the present subjunctive form of avoir with the normal past participle. Donc:

j'aie + pp
tu aies + pp
il ait + pp

nous ayons + pp
vous ayez + pp
ils aient + pp

I've seen this version of the past more often, but as shazzam puts it the 'passé simple' is all but dead in common use except for really literary situations (If you have season 1 of 'Futurama' on DVD, put the Mars University episode on, at the very end when they reflect on that they do, at the very end, with the captions, the French subtitles use the passé simple, but htis is not much related to the subjunctive lol...)

The actual USES of subjunctive that's another kettle of fish! Laura K Lawless' lessons at french.about.com are usually good: http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa111599.htm

Here's a table of verb tenses and where they fall on the timeline: http://french.about.com/library/bl_timelinee.htm

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
There are only really three forms of the subjunctive and these include the two which I have included and also the plu-perfect subjunctive, which honestly is an unneccessary burden for you to learn for HSC French.

Hope this helps and good luck with your goal, as long as err... Lionel Hutz is not your idol.

Thanks alot, that cleared it up 4 me...i know it a hard tense by my teach insists we learn it to give our essays a 'boost' and make them more sophisticated...ahh well mayb it will make me look smarter in the HSC nxt yr

Lol we'll he isnt really my idol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)