France (1 Viewer)

parallel vision

FIRE UP!
just wondering if anyone has been, and if you'd recommend going? i'm considering going next february, so wanted some other opinions

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I havn't been, so can't help you sorry.
Who's in your av?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I've been. Most obvious place to go is Paris, but the rest of France is supposedy very nice (I've only been to Paris). Don't try and cram it into like 2 days, make sure you give yourself time.

I recommend going definately ...

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
yes, yes and yes!! you must go to paris. i was there for over a week living in an apartment. its such a great city. as mclake said, dont cram it in. you must go there for over a week. there is soo much to see.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah, Paris of course, definately go to Invallides, its where napoleon is buried, very pretty, and definately allow time to wander around Montmarte, near sacre Cour, on the hill in Paris, very arty and interesting. Moulin rouge is a big let down, dont bother with that, but of course do the Louvre, Arc de triumph and eiffel tower. The Musee D'orsay is good too, and of course Notre dame, def do a trip on the river, and go to the opera house, and just give yourself time to wander around the inner city, its fascinating! Oh, and Absolutely go to Versailles, allow a whole day, its massive!

And i havent been to the wine regions of france, but my sis has, and she did a canal trip and said it was great.
make sure ppl know u r Australian, not American, they'll like u a lot more!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
parallel vision said:
just wondering if anyone has been, and if you'd recommend going? i'm considering going next february, so wanted some other opinions
Oh you are choosing a very cold month to go!! Most likely with snow and stuff. but the up-side is that, airticket's for France's in its low season :)

France, apart from Paris, definitely go to Provence, heard that it's heaps nice there. I've only been to Marseille (which I vaguely remember), Paris and Nice. But my teacher showed me the northern part photos and there were like giant stalk nests on the roof!! I would love to see that :D

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i was there in the middle of january and it was rainy/cold/wet. but this in no way affected paris. there werent as many tourists, hardly any queues (dont have to wait 3 hours to get into Louvre). as long as youve got warm clothes, its the best time to go.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Also go to Montpellier, I stayed there a week and it's a very nice place. If you start at Paris and go down to Montpellier, you can visit the French chateaus along the way including the Palais de Versaille.
I went about this time two years ago and the weather was really nice, clear blue skies and all.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
ezzy85 said:
yes, yes and yes!! you must go to paris. i was there for over a week living in an apartment. its such a great city. as mclake said, dont cram it in. you must go there for over a week. there is soo much to see.
hey Ezzy, just wondering. HOw much does it cost approximately to rent an apartment for a week?? Because i am thinking of going to Paris in my Europe trip (and yup, in Jan/Feb) as well and i don't know where to stay at the moment

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
sugaryblue said:
hey Ezzy, just wondering. HOw much does it cost approximately to rent an apartment for a week?? Because i am thinking of going to Paris in my Europe trip (and yup, in Jan/Feb) as well and i don't know where to stay at the moment
it was around $150AUD per night. we found it in the herald, someone in melbourne was renting off their paris apartment.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
parallel vision said:
Yes! Love it there.

I have been to Lille, Paris and Dijon, plus the surrounding areas.

But go to Belgium!!!!!!!

Hannahisobelle

HSC
Obviously you must visit Paris, it is great, but my absolute favourite city in France is Clermont Ferrand, west of Lyon. It is a very pretty historical little city, and it is in the heart of France, surrounded by beautiful country side. It is in the puy-de-dome departmennt, in Auvergne, famous for its volcanoes. Perfect place for hiking, and outdoor activities probably better in the summer though. In the winter there is a nice ski station called Super Besse, they have really nice cross country skiing pistes around lac Pavin, a volcanic crater lake which is really beautiful.

Are you interested in winter sports? There a 2 week school holiday in France in February and lots of families all go to the alps for skiing so it would be really busy, though it probably always is anyway. i was in the Haute-savoie at a ski station, it was nice, and i enjoyed the iceskating, cinema, meeting people, making snowmen, but i detest skiing so i can't really say whether the skiing was good or bad. Though im sure if i was into skiing i would love do it in the french alps! anyway, being in France in February, going skiing in the Alps would be the obvious thing to do!

Do you speak French? It's best to at least try speaking in French, if you are good you will be able to have the conversation, if not the people will sympathise and reply in english. Don't believe those stereotypes regarding french arrogance, except maybe in Paris.

Je te souhaite vraiment un bon sejour en France!

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
parallel vision said:
are you backpacking sugaryblue? this site is good, loads of hostels etc
http://www.backpackeurope.com/tips/itinerary/france/hostels.html

yeah im not worried about the weather, feb is just best time for me and cheaper and less crowds is also a big advantage
Thanks :D I actually dunno how long I am gonna stay in Paris yet, because my main intent is going to Belgium (if that's ever gonna happen).

Yup, Perse's right, go to Belgium :D You get all the smurfs, Tintin, beer and chocolates!!

and if you do wanna get some Godiva praline, don't get it at city center (unless you want individual pieces), get them at the airport if you are buying 500g or more coz it's cheaper!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)