• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Frank in Educating Rita (1 Viewer)

bertyNo.1

HSC
I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP WITH HOW FRANK GOES "INTO THE WORLD", IF HE DOES OR DOESNT AND TECHNIQUES EXPLAINING WHY!!! I NEED TO WRITE A RESPONSE ON HIM:confused:

Last edited:

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
hmm...well i think at the beginning Frank takes education for granted. he is educated but he's sort giving up in life, because he has no passion for learning...he tries to hide his problems of unfulfillment and dis-satisfaction by drinking...u could mention that at the end, rita helps frank realise this that he can start a new life (he demonstrates this by moving to aus)

one of the techniques that can be used to describe frank's lifestyle is the bottles of drink he hides behind the books. he's hiding the problem, hes not really addressing it. in the last scene, where frank is taking out his suitcase and placing them outside his study door, its like hes saying hes ready to come out and enter his new world.

i think the best way to study for educating rita is to read the play again and really focus on the stage directions and dialogue, cos they give little hints about how the characters change. :bomb:

NueContura

HSC
no offence meant towards you lizziegirl......but frank's hiding of alcohol behind books is not a technique....

technique's involve stage directions, character placements, use of language etc....

just thought i aughta clarify that for both of you.....itll just give ya those one or two more marks that you might otherwise miss out on

zedzed

HSC
neucontura - the alcohol is a technique. how else would you know that he hides alcohol behind books? from the stage directions of course. and why would willy russel put that in his play? to show something about frank. what he's showing is that frank is unhappy in his world and this is ironic because frank's world is the world rita aspires to enter.

riss123

HSC
um, neucontura, the alcohol is a technique.
Ever heard of symbolism?

r3ne94d3

HSC
You were right in saying that the alcohol itself isnt a technique, but the fact of the matter is that the alcohol is symbolic of all of his problems as it is his coping mechanism however he hides it behind his books, symbolic of how he is becoming very depressed but he covers it up with this 'oh, i'm a teacher' fascade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)